Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Jealousy

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:24 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do you think jealousy is a healthy or unhealthy emotion for children to have?

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
janitablue
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:15 AM

mmmmmmmmmm (thinking) Jealous is a bad part of  human behavior such as greed, gluttony, selfishness etc......  Is it a unhealthy emotion for a child to have.  If I saw the behavior in my son I would talk and tell him being jealous is not worth your happiness and peace mind.

LilyFlair
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I think its something that happens if you like it or not. The only thing you can do is equip your child with coping tools for when they feel that way. Everyone feels a little jelly sometimes, its not letting the emotion rule and your actions thats key.

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Unfortunally healthy or not it's a part of life. I have always taught my son not be jealous of what others have/do, but sometimes that is hard.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

My son's psychologist often says that emotions are not good or bad, they just are what they are.  It is how you express those emotions that matters.

Basically, you need to teach your child how to cope with jealousy in an acceptable manner.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

It is not a healthy emotion for kids or adults but it is a common one. 

If you think your child is having jealous feelings, it's a great opportunity to teach them how to recognize these feelings and deal with them in a healthy way. 

MsLogansMommy
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

so then a second part to the question would be what would be a healthy way to deal with those feelings

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

It's a normal feeling. As far as teaching a child how to handle it, I would focus on the positive qualities that your child has. Without knowing whether the jealousy is over material things, friendships, or talents its hard to be specific. I teach my children to work with and be grateful for what they DO have. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I love that. I hadn't thought of it in those terms before, but that is a beautiful way to put it. Thanks for sharing this.

Quoting steelcrazy:

My son's psychologist often says that emotions are not good or bad, they just are what they are.  It is how you express those emotions that matters.

Basically, you need to teach your child how to cope with jealousy in an acceptable manner.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

You said exactly what I was thinking.  I don't think we can determine it as good or bad.  It's an emotion that naturally comes out but how we handle it is what makes it good or bad.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Very unhealthy in my opinion....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN