Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Handing out Bibles in public school - EDITED

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 51 Replies

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE REPLYING...

Every February through mid March, our elementary school offers after school clubs.  This year, DD is enrolled in two...pottery painting and Good News Club.  I was only going to enroll her in pottery painting but her BFF was enrolling in Good News Club and it was free so I signed her up too (pottery was $90).  I knew the club was faith based with a focon how to make good choices and be a good person.  Although I am Jewish (DH is Protestant so we celebrate both religions), I was fine with it.  The club was started a few years ago by a friend of mine even though she is no longer the one running it. 

DD loves the club!  It's much heavier on the love Jesus message than I thought it would be but she's happy so I'm happy.  Her workbook is all about how Jesus loves us, how to love Jesus, how to find friends who love Jesus and about what sin is and why you shouldn't do it.  At Wednesday's meeting, they gave the kids Bibles.  It's a nice one, over 1,500 pages and it's geared toward kids who like to explore and I knew she would be getting one. 

I'm fine with everything as is DH even if we find some of the stuff to be a bit heavy or funny (we're more spiritual than religious and sometimes hearing DD get preachy is hilarious but we don't quiet her, she's entitled to her beliefs but we do correct her if she gets her thoughts mixed up).

My mom isn't fine with it.  I have to say that she's totally fine with DH not being Jewish and with her grandkids being baptized and going to church on occasion so learning a different religion and the Jesus teachings is NOT her issue.  Her issue is that she says it isn't right to hand out Bibles on public school property. 

Normally I would agree however this is a club where parents have to give permission for their kids to be there and they know what the club is all about.  The school is not handing out Bibles to all of the students will nilly, just to the ones in the club. 

What do you think? 

EDIT:  I should have been more clear...my mom is NOT making an issue of anything.  In a conversation about the club, she stated she thought it was wrong that Bibles were being handed out on public school property, even if it's just for the club participants.  She is NOT telling us to pull DD from the club or giving us a hard time about DD being in the club.  She just stated her opinion which differed from mine so I posted to see what other moms think.  It's not an issue between us at all.  =)

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thebailiffs
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

So funny you bring this up.  I am a teacher and I go to MANY different school every week. I has at a middle school (on one side of the street) and a High school on the other. I pulled up one day and there were men of all ages standing at the stop light where students from both schools have to walk by.  It was early AM and they were handing out paper bibles.  I was shocked!! I am very don't force things on anyone, doesn't matter the material! I was really angry.  But when I sat back and watched the kids that didn't care found the closest trash can and when I looked in it, it was filled with the bibles.  After that I looked at it different, I would not want that to be a regular thing but it is not going to kill us.

I went to a religious camp when I was young and really, I just did what they asked me to do and then laughed about it later.

I would day, if I were in your shoes I would try to balance your daughters exposure to other religions so she could see that there are many different views in the world and that when she grows up she will decided what is best for her.  

My son will sometimes say that a friend of him talked about god and heaven. I just tell him to respect others views on things and know what he/we believe.

Hope this helps. It sounds like you guys have a very healthy view about it. I would not even entertain her feels other than to say, this is our choice and please support us. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I agree with you that no one should be forcing anything on anyone.  Once when DD was walking home from school (I was in the car beside her going 2 mph), an elderly couple handed her something.  I didn't care because I know the couple lives in our neighborhood and I see them all the time.  When we got home, she showed me what it was and it was a leaflet on accepting Jesus.  I was annoyed only in that what she believes isn't their business. 

My mom isn't making a big deal out of it, when DD was discussing the club, she just made the comment.  She's not making a big deal out of it at all and has not suggested that we pull DD from the club or anything at all. 

I was just curious as to what other moms thought since I don't see it as an issue.

Quoting thebailiffs:

So funny you bring this up.  I am a teacher and I go to MANY different school every week. I has at a middle school (on one side of the street) and a High school on the other. I pulled up one day and there were men of all ages standing at the stop light where students from both schools have to walk by.  It was early AM and they were handing out paper bibles.  I was shocked!! I am very don't force things on anyone, doesn't matter the material! I was really angry.  But when I sat back and watched the kids that didn't care found the closest trash can and when I looked in it, it was filled with the bibles.  After that I looked at it different, I would not want that to be a regular thing but it is not going to kill us.

I went to a religious camp when I was young and really, I just did what they asked me to do and then laughed about it later.

I would day, if I were in your shoes I would try to balance your daughters exposure to other religions so she could see that there are many different views in the world and that when she grows up she will decided what is best for her.  

My son will sometimes say that a friend of him talked about god and heaven. I just tell him to respect others views on things and know what he/we believe.

Hope this helps. It sounds like you guys have a very healthy view about it. I would not even entertain her feels other than to say, this is our choice and please support us. 

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

It wouldn't bother me at all. If this was something you knew in advance then it would have been up to you to let her participate. Your mom is just going to have to deal with it.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I just edited the post.  There's nothing to deal with, she just stated her opinon in the conversation we had and that was it.  I was just curious as to what other moms think. 

Quoting natesmom1228:

It wouldn't bother me at all. If this was something you knew in advance then it would have been up to you to let her participate. Your mom is just going to have to deal with it.

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Ok, I am sorry. I didn't mean to come off as attacking. I would be fine with it, as long as I knew if before hand.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I just edited the post.  There's nothing to deal with, she just stated her opinon in the conversation we had and that was it.  I was just curious as to what other moms think. 

Quoting natesmom1228:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM
6 moms liked this

I have no problem with this.  It is an after school club, and it is not forced upon all of the children in the school.  Seperation of church and state only guarantees that the Federal Government will not force one religion on everyone in the country.  It doesn't mean that club at the school can't share religious beliefs or materials with other members of the school.  It also doesn't mean that religious folks can't hand out literature on public street corners or go door to door handing out materials.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM
3 moms liked this

It's a voluntary club, and so I have no issue with it.

My son's elementary school offersan  OPTIONAL bible study class, and It never bothered me. I just didn't sign my son up for it. We live in a diverse area, and so I'm sure not all students are Christian at the school. Just because it's a public building, it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be moments of silence or that we, as the public, should take away the ability for people to discuss their mutual faith eith each other.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Some churches hold service in schools so I don't see the problem.

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

In my opinion, the SCHOOL isn't handing out bibles, the club is.  Yes, it's on school property, but the school is not doing it.  The only kids getting them are the ones whose parents signed them up for the club, so no, I have no issue with it...

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't see a problem with it. It's not the school handing them out or even during school hours. It's a faith based voluntarily after school club.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN