Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Spin off to the homework post

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 36 Replies

First foremost I would like to thank everyone who respond to my post.  I was reading the comments and I was wondering......... What age would you stop checking your child/children homework ?  My son is in third grade and I still check his homework or let him go to tutor I don't see myself stop any time soon.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM
When they are in college. My mom stop checking mine in 6th grade and by the time I was in hs.. I skip hw or did it last minute or copy. Yep.. wasn't to smart and now am struggling with college
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ruby_jewel_04
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I don't check my daughters spelling homework because she's highly gifted in that area. She's in 3rd grade. We still help her with math and other things though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure when I will stop checking it honestly. I know my parents stopped eventually. This is ( for me ) a no right or wrong answer

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter's in first.  She usually just gets a math paper and I check that every night as well as go over her spelling words.  My son is in 9th.  I proofread his papers and let him know if there's something he needs to fix (I absolutely do not do the work for him).  I look at his math to make sure its done (been an occasional problem not doing it) but I can't tell if they're right or not because I forgot all those equations and algorithms many years ago.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I stopped around 3rd or 4th grade, depending on the homework. I will double check things or proof read things if my son asks for it.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Quoting piwife:

When they are in college. My mom stop checking mine in 6th grade and by the time I was in hs.. I skip hw or did it last minute or copy. Yep.. wasn't to smart and now am struggling with college

Sorry, I think checking homework until college is way too long. Your kids need to be responsible for their work (including lack thereof) before hitting college.

My son's school posts the homework scores online, and so I can still keep on top of my son's assignments even without checking his actual homework. If he's behind in homework, I make sure he can't do anything else until he's caught up in it. But I still don't check his actual homework. Once they get older, they need to take responsibility for their own work and create their own internal drive to do well in school.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I don't know when I'll stop checking my kids' homework. My oldest is in 6th and I still actually have to help pretty heavily since he has trouble and also because he is in support classes I have a lot of things that I have to sign off on saying that I helped him, read with him, or listened to him read, etc.

Since my younger two have no issues like that it may be earlier- it is very different with them. But for now they are in 3rd and 2nd and I still check their work and don't see an end to at least looking over it any time soon- at least not in the elementary years.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quoting jen113000:

Not sure when I will stop checking it honestly. I know my parents stopped eventually. This is ( for me ) a no right or wrong answer

I totally agree with that. I have 3 kids who are all different from one another and I don't even think it will necessarily be the same age/grade for each of them.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

DD's teacher is trying to teach them how to turn it in without her reminding everyone.  I supervise any worksheets and help if needed with her journal.  We are encouraged not to actually spell words out rather let the child figure it out themselves so yes there are a few misspelled words here and there.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM
DS's 6th grade teacher told us not to check, that at that age, they had to be responsible and suffer consequences for irresponsibility. I have to say, he learned a lot and has had no homework issues this year (7th grade).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)