Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

behavior problems at home&school (long)

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

So my 5 yr old son has been having focus and behavior problems at school. we will start with his focus. his focus last about 5 mins. rather at home or school. if something looks to hard he will totally give up and theres nothing any1 can do to bring him back. ex: Lastnight he was working on his math homework, (its done on the computer) he got an answer wrong, flipped out and i could not motivate him to focus again. I am working with his teacher on this and it has gotten a little better. Im nerves that this will effect his chances of learning anything. the weird thing is that other times he can do the same problem another day with no problems.... ok so that's the focus issue. the behavior problem kinda relates to his focus. His listening skills are just not there. He argues with everything including with his teacher. He gets so upset when u try to explain why what he is saying isn't right and he will try to over talk you. he has gotten many light changes at school due to this. Im not sure how to go about fixing this. is this a discipline issue, or a communication problem?

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I forget the name of it but have his eyes checked. Some vision isues can show up as behavioral issues and mimic ADD/ADHD. If he can't see it correctly, he'll get frustrated, lose focus, get mad Go to an optometrist, not his pedi. It may not be his eyes but I would look into it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I don't think it's a discipline problem.  Talk to his doctor, let him know what's been going on.  There may be something physical causing these issues or he may have a condition such as ADHD, but you won't know what's causing it unless you have him assessed.

hEiDiMaRiE25
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I have had him assessed. he passed all tests. Although when he was assessed by the department of education, they found  some behavior problems. he is suppose to be seeing a school physcolaist. (key word suppose) but have not seen any improvement.

Quoting amonkeymom:

I don't think it's a discipline problem.  Talk to his doctor, let him know what's been going on.  There may be something physical causing these issues or he may have a condition such as ADHD, but you won't know what's causing it unless you have him assessed.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM

That sounds like my youngest who's 7. He was just diagnosed with ADD.  He is now on meds and doing a behavior chart at both school and home and is doing great.

family in the van   Mom of four

amonkeymom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

In that case, I think you need to put something in writing and give it to the school about his need to see a psychologist there and ask for an IEP or a 504 evaluation.

(((hug)))

Quoting hEiDiMaRiE25:

I have had him assessed. he passed all tests. Although when he was assessed by the department of education, they found  some behavior problems. he is suppose to be seeing a school physcolaist. (key word suppose) but have not seen any improvement.

Quoting amonkeymom:

Morrigan333
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes I'll act like I need some help with the problem. " Hey Johnny, can you help me with this problem, I just don't understand how to solve this one, maybe you can help me so I can get my other work done that requires me no know the answer to this (budgeting a grocery store trip) " ya know something like that..

My dd doesn't want to do her work until she actually thinks  I  need help! She likes to have a purpose, to be needed.

907PickleMom
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM
How is his diet? Is he eating a well balanced diet free of processed sugar and artificial nasties? Some food problems can manifest in behavior problems. DS 5 yrs was like that a lot and then we cut out 98% of dairy from his diet and he is like a different kid! He still has his moment but overall much better. Also if he is eating hot lunch a lot at school that may make a difference. I started packing healthy lunches and his behavior improved.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN