Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teacher goes too far

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 116 Replies
My son Damion came home the other day with his test and says he got a 63... I look at it the teacher wrote a note saying too much careless work and my son got the right answer but didn't show his work.. If you have Also had this problem use this page to post about it.. I think that what grade he got isn't the grade he should have got he should have gotten a lot better grade than that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motherslove82
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM
10 moms liked this

They have to show how they got the answer. That's been a requirement since I was in school. I understand how you are feeling, but you should just explain to him why he got that grade so he will know what to do better next time.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Part of the test is showing the work. I don't think the teacher went too far.

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM
8 moms liked this

I don't understand your issue. If part of the grade is to show the work and he didn't then he deserved the grade that he received.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Teachers have been requiring to show work for years.  That way they know how they got the answer.  If they just write the answer down, who knows if the student actually did it or just copied from someone.  Not saying your child did just saying.

family in the van   Mom of four

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Agree with the other moms.  Showing work is just as important (if not more important) to see an understanding of what is asked of them.  It's about the process....not necessarily the answer. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree and will NOT give credit for just the answer unless its MC, for which I have several versions.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Ever since I was in school, you HAVE to show your work. It's part of the test.

You are over-reacting.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I will also have to agree that showing your work is expected and has been for 30+ years.  That is how the teacher knows that your child really understands the concept and didn't just luckily guess the correct answer.

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I do think it's a good idea to grade on showing the work, as well as getting the answer correct.  It has always been the standard back to when I was a student.  My son went through this in the 4th grade.  He hates showing his work.  He is a very "do it in your head kind of person".  But, we supported the teacher and he does it.

It allows to teacher to see that the student truly understands how they derived the answer and didn't just guess it correctly.  It also helps the student ensure they are paying attention to detail when they are doing their work.  This will help him down the road.  Not only does it train him how to do it correctly, it helps him developed how to show other students how to do it (if applicable).  This will serve him well when he gets into the workforce.

:)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this

One of many reasons we homeschool. If they get the answer right, I don't care that they didn't show the work.

HOWEVER.... My kids understand that if they get less than 85% they will REDO any missed problems INCLUDING showing me all the work. My Ds2 likes to do work on the white board - so I let him, but that is the agreement that is in plae.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)