Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Did your kids have trouble with this?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM
  • 20 Replies

Learning to ride a bike, that is. Ds, 5, is afraid to ride his bike without training wheels. We even bought one of those handles so we can hold onto it while he rides and if he tips over at all he starts to freak out. He's a very cautious kid. He's never been into climbing up high or doing anything that might result in hurting himself. Anyway. I was thinking about getting one of these co-pilot attachments so we could ride together and maybe he'd learn to ride, or, at least be less afraid after riding around on one of those.

Any ladies used one before?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

No We havent.   Developmentally many children do not master the bicycle sans training wheels until nearly 7 or 8 yrs old.  DD hasnt been able to practice on her bike due to all the rainy weather we have been having.

Devious333
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM
I didn't know that! I was about 4 when I started riding without training wheels and so were several of my siblings. One of my younger brother's didn't learn until he was about 9 years old, he was too scared and lacked balance. I am thinking this attachment will be worth it so I can ride my bike and have him right there with me, since I also have an 11 month old to tote around, too.

Quoting frndlyfn:

No We havent.   Developmentally many children do not master the bicycle sans training wheels until nearly 7 or 8 yrs old.  DD hasnt been able to practice on her bike due to all the rainy weather we have been having.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:54 PM

For your family.  I think it would be a good learning tool for both children (save it for when baby is old enough).   I technically never learned how to ride a bike since my balance STINKs on a bicycle.  Use the attachment as a training wheels free practice while keeping the wheels on a bit longer for his personal bicycle.   I am presuming you have knee pads, helmet and even elbow pads for him?   How are you going to tote the baby around on a bicycle?

Quoting Devious333:

I didn't know that! I was about 4 when I started riding without training wheels and so were several of my siblings. One of my younger brother's didn't learn until he was about 9 years old, he was too scared and lacked balance. I am thinking this attachment will be worth it so I can ride my bike and have him right there with me, since I also have an 11 month old to tote around, too.

Quoting frndlyfn:

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Yes, my mom has one. My sister who is now 21 and my son both loved it. 

janitablue
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:57 PM

No I never bought bike like this. I have always wanted to purchase a bike for my son but I never had any room for it.

Devious333
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM
I just asked dh if the bike seat we have would work if the co-pilot was attached and he said no lol so I'm not sure what I'll do.

Quoting frndlyfn:

For your family.  I think it would be a good learning tool for both children (save it for when baby is old enough).   I technically never learned how to ride a bike since my balance STINKs on a bicycle.  Use the attachment as a training wheels free practice while keeping the wheels on a bit longer for his personal bicycle.   I am presuming you have knee pads, helmet and even elbow pads for him?   How are you going to tote the baby around on a bicycle?

Quoting Devious333:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious333
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM
That's awesome. I think it will make bike riding easier.

Quoting natesmom1228:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Just know that it will  be heavy and you will be doing most of the work, lol. Even though the pedals work doesn't mean they will do it.

I loved it and my son used it from the ages of 5 until he learned to ride himself. My sister was on it at 4.  

Quoting Devious333:

Quoting natesmom1228:

Devious333
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Haha yeah, I am thinking that when he gets tired or decides he no longer wants to pedal that I'll be dragging him around. It will be a good workout, if nothing else!

Quoting natesmom1228:

Just know that it will  be heavy and you will be doing most of the work, lol. Even though the pedals work doesn't mean they will do it.

I loved it and my son used it from the ages of 5 until he learned to ride himself. My sister was on it at 4.  

Quoting Devious333:

Quoting natesmom1228:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funny_girl3
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Never used on of those co-pilot attachments, in fact I've never seen one before.  But I can sympathize with your predicament.  My son had no interest in learning to ride without training wheels until he was 8 years old.  I started worrying about it when he was in kindergarten and his friends were all riding circles around him, but then I decided to stop stressing about it and just let him do it in his own time, and he did!  Now he loves to ride his bike and is just as good at it as the kids that have been riding since kindergarten, so my advice is to let your son pursue it when he is interested.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)