Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

First bad progress report :(

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
My son is 7 and in 2nd grade, he's always been on the AB Honor Roll. He's always been one of the best readers in his class since kindergarten also. He's a smart kid. He is in the AR Reader program since last year and has gotten awards for being a top reader in his class.

He brought home a progress report today and has a 70 in reading. The note reads "struggling and needs to stay focused." Now I know my son has a tendency to daydream and not pay attention and sometimes I think he does sloppy work on purpose because he doesn't feel like doing it. His K and 1st grade and 2nd grade teachers have all told me these things and I know he's not perfect, but still I'm a little shocked at this grade. He has brought home a few failing papers in the past couple of months but I was not expecting this low of a grade. They do tons of worksheets every day ad have homework every day also and they grade everything so I didn't really think a couple of failing worksheets would bring his grade to a 70.

Another factor - his teacher has been on maternity leave since a week after they returned from winter vacation. So about a month and she won't be bak for another month at least. My sons class has had a long term sub. I asked him and he said he didn't like her but I couldn't get him to elaborate.

I'm disappointed in him, we always stress that school is the most important thing in outs kids lives right now and he usually is an excellent student.

I'm planning a conference with the sub teacher next week and I also plan to include his other teacher who teaches math and science; he spends half the day in her class so she knows my son and may have input I need to know.

What would you do in this situation? Has anyone ever had to deal with a child having a long term sub and did it affect them at all?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommy06and09
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM
im sorry you are going through this. ds teacher last year had a family emergency that was supposed to end 2 months after she left but ended up being permanent. it affected ds emotionally but not his grades. then again he was only in kindergarten when it happened. could you sit in on a class or two to see how his behavior is?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahfire
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Yes I probably could do that if I needed to. I'm going to talk to the teachers first and then see if that may be necessary next step.

Quoting mommy06and09:

im sorry you are going through this. ds teacher last year had a family emergency that was supposed to end 2 months after she left but ended up being permanent. it affected ds emotionally but not his grades. then again he was only in kindergarten when it happened. could you sit in on a class or two to see how his behavior is?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I would ask the student support counselor to observe...his behavior will be different if you're there. He won't know who the counselor is watching. We had this done with DS when he was in 2nd grade. It was eye opening. Both kids' teachers went out on maternity leave last year (at different times). It worked out fine for us.

Quoting sarahfire:

Yes I probably could do that if I needed to. I'm going to talk to the teachers first and then see if that may be necessary next step.

Quoting mommy06and09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I agree with having hte conference.  Really talk to him about why he doesn't like her.....there may be someting there....especially considering it coincided with his drop in grades.

Good luck!

aetrom
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:40 AM
I had 2 thoughts. I agree you should sit in on a day. Although in the beginning they will be on best behaviour by the end they start slipping. ;)

Two perhaps he was really good at Sight words but not at sounding words out?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:33 AM

DD1 went through this.  All through K-1 she was at the top of her class.  Everything came easy for her until 2nd grade when she was required to perform daily and weekly homework assignments.  Self-discipline was the issue.  She just didn't want to sit down to do her homework, preferring to play instead.  She would rush through her work or pay more attention to what others are doing than to concentrate on completing her work.  It was a tough year but we kept at it and her homework habits got better and better every year.  She still has some minor issues (like needing to study for tests/quizzes) but at least she is aware that she is responsible and will be accountable for her own actions. 

Now in 6th grade, she has learned to independently organize her time wisely to incorporate homework and play.

Hope this helps.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:05 AM

It's not unusual for students to have a hard time when there is a sub. Subs aren't trained teachers so they aren't as effective in controlling the class or teaching the material. 

It's unfortunate but unavoidable. The good thing is that it will only be a couple of more weeks before his regular teacher returns. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN