Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Help: Please say this is normal...worried mom. Updated!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM
  • 15 Replies

Update:  He seems to be doing better. He hasn't complained as much about his feet like he did yesterday.  He's running and playing around like his normal self.  So, I presume it was just from the flu bug that he got.  Not let's pray it doesn't effect any more of us!  I'm done with illnesses!

My 5 year old got sick Monday night/Tuesday morning.  He had a fever upwards towards 105 degrees.  We took him to his pediatrician Thursday due to the high fevers (which typically responded to Tylenol).  His fever started to finally go away yesterday.

Today (Friday) he complained of leg pain.  It was so bad he refused to walk and when he did he was walking on his tiptoes.  He forced daddy to carry him nearly everywhere.  He also slept a lot more today than usual.

Is this normal?  If he's complaining of leg pain tomorrow like this, we will call the doctor back.  I just hope its not something serious!!!

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Was he diagnosed with anything?  It sounds like the nasty flu that is going around. Is the leg pain going away with tylenol or ibuprofen?

corrinacs
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM

The doctor said it was a virus, but didn't give more details at the time.  I know that DH gave him Tylenol today and Bengay at some point.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Was he diagnosed with anything?  It sounds like the nasty flu that is going around. Is the leg pain going away with tylenol or ibuprofen?

Belovedmoonpixi
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM

When my daughter had dengue fever (also known as bonebreaker fever) she could hardly move from the pain. My nephew gave us the scare of our lives when he was about 3, as he had Kawasaki disease, which is a form of rheumathoid fever...(he´s ADHD and would stay totally still on the bed and only move his head on account of the pain)...so certain illnesses CAN cause severe pains...it just depends on the diagnosis they gave you. Hope it´s nothing bad.

SpurgeonMom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM
i agree with the high fever and pain makes me think the flu we are battling it at our house and my 3 year old son was hurting pretty bad from it. hope he feels better mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnGLInterrupted
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM

I think you should take him to the ER if this is still going on in the morning.  This doesn't sound normal to me.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Sounds like the flu.  High fever and body aches/pains is quite normal with the flu.  The last time that I had the flu it felt like I'd been run over by a construction truck, I could barely move for a day or two.

With him just being at the doctors the other day, it is very possible that he picked up the flu.  Our pediatrician is asking patients to not come into the office unless it is absolutely necessary due to the flu running rampant here.  My county has the highest number of flu cases in my state.

JaronDMC
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Just make sure there is no cuts on his legs. My niece had a high fever with leg pain she was also vomiting. The drs couldn't figure out what was wrong at first. But it turns out she had a very small cut on her knee that had gotten infected. He parents did even know she had it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

It does sound like the flu.  I had it a couple of years ago and my whole body hurt to move.  Still, I'd check in with the doctor just in case.  Hope he feels better soon!

bleumonster
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Is the fever completely gone without tylenol? If so then the pains should be gone or at least reduced. Are the pains in both legs? If yes then probably due to the fever or the way he slept, if not then you need to investigate further. Is there any heat in the legs or painful areas? If yes then localized infection may be the culprit.  Are the toes the same temperature? If no, go to the ER immediately. If there are any suspicious bumps, knots, deep pain that won't go away, or anything that just doesn't seem right, go back to the doctor right away.

ambercates
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM
I would take him in if it is just one leg hurting! It's probably the flu, but it doesn't hurt to get checked out anyway!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN