Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

”Sex” & the 5 year old

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
My 5 yo wants to know what sex is, because at this point she thinks its laying down, being naked & kissing.... In other words my husband & I are having sex, by her standards, a lot more than in reality. Im one of those honest parents, but want to keep it age appropriate. I know if she doesn't get the info from us, even at this age she'll get it from somewhere else. Our 8 yo doesn't care much about this topic, though I can tell she knows more than she admits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM

My five year old knows the basics of sex. We answer all his questions as thoroughly as we can. When he asks more questions we give more information.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Answer her questions as honestly as you can.  If she is old enough to ask the question, then she is old enough to get an honest answer.

When my boys ask something like this, I often counter with "what do you think?".  That way I know what they already know, and I go from there.  I also correct any misinformation that they may have.

piwife
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this
My daughter still doesn't ask... am not ready to respond
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Im nervous about telling this one honestly. Shes got a big mouth lol and even after the short talk we had this morning we heard her outside saying something about sex. When she point blank asked ” whats sex” I told her that honestly I had to think of the best way to explain it to her & we'd talk again later.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Answer her questions as honestly as you can.  If she is old enough to ask the question, then she is old enough to get an honest answer.

When my boys ask something like this, I often counter with "what do you think?".  That way I know what they already know, and I go from there.  I also correct any misinformation that they may have.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Wow! My almost 8 year old has never even asked!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I think awhile back you recommended the book "Its Not The Stork"; for ages 4-7. I then got it for my boys, ( 7 & 6) and while I think it had a bit too much info, I am glad I did read it with them. Because better hear it from me, in age appropriate terms, than on the playground.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Dawn
MJP76
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

This. Kids will often lead the conversation, if you ask the right questions. So always ask leading questions, not yes and no questions. :)

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN