Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

are my expectations too high?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 16 Replies
i expect ds (6) to follow directions without throwing tantrums, do his best work, and be polite. for some reason he just wont seem live up to my expectations. he tries his best and is usually respectful but he wont listen worth a damn at least not without throwing a tantrum. im so sick of it! what can i do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KME3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep... I learn that my expectetions are not what is going to happen. My daughter can be a really good girl when she wants ... do you discipline him? What methods do you use?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM

What form of discipline do you use?  Do you use it consistantly?  How long have you been using this form of discipline?

mommy06and09
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM
i ask him if he would want to be around me if i wasnt listening and he says no. then i tell him i dont want to be around him so he needs to go to his room and think about what he did wrong and what he can do to fix it. then 15 or 20 min later he comes down on his own accord and says hes ready to talk and says all the right things. then he behaves for a few hours and is rewarded for it but not long after the reward he acts up again.

Quoting piwife:

Yep... I learn that my expectetions are not what is going to happen. My daughter can be a really good girl when she wants ... do you discipline him? What methods do you use?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy06and09
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM
i responded to what form i use, but wanted to add i have been doing it for about 9 months. before that i did a lot of spanking but i want to stay away from that cause i dont like who i become when i spank.

Quoting steelcrazy:

What form of discipline do you use?  Do you use it consistantly?  How long have you been using this form of discipline?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Take things away that he likes to play with or do.  To answer your first question, though, no your expectations are not too high.

piwife
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Do you have any other methods. I sent my daughter to her room also but besides that I also do chores. Like if she behaves bad she gets a chore, I do redirection time outs( time out won't begin until she is calm) early bed time, no story, exta hw from mom, and ny last resort is spanking.

Quoting mommy06and09:

i ask him if he would want to be around me if i wasnt listening and he says no. then i tell him i dont want to be around him so he needs to go to his room and think about what he did wrong and what he can do to fix it. then 15 or 20 min later he comes down on his own accord and says hes ready to talk and says all the right things. then he behaves for a few hours and is rewarded for it but not long after the reward he acts up again.

Quoting piwife:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

So you basically give him a time out?

Honestly, by 5 or 6 years old time outs are not as effective as they are in the preschool years.  You really may want to consider taking away a favorite item for a day and see how that works.

Quoting mommy06and09:

i responded to what form i use, but wanted to add i have been doing it for about 9 months. before that i did a lot of spanking but i want to stay away from that cause i dont like who i become when i spank.

Quoting steelcrazy:

piwife
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I spank but I use that as the last resort. She usually knows when she is getting close to spanking. But rarely does she actually get there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy06and09
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM
i guess it is a time out but its time away from everything he likes. no family time, no computer time, no tv, and no toys. he is alone in his room with nothing but his bed and dresser. i also put him on restriction but its not for not listening. i also assign chores but again not for him not listening.

Quoting steelcrazy:

So you basically give him a time out?

Honestly, by 5 or 6 years old time outs are not as effective as they are in the preschool years.  You really may want to consider taking away a favorite item for a day and see how that works.

Quoting mommy06and09:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN