Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

changing taste buds...

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM
  • 11 Replies
i want to start serving my kids healthier snacks but they are so picky. in all honesty im really picky too. what can i do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Turn it into a science experiment. I remember reading something that when you try a new food it takes 7 tries to decide if you really like it or not. Chart new foods to see if they like them or not.

mommy06and09
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM
im trying to get them to eat dried fruit so i can keep some in the car for them but they hate it. im sick of having crackers in the car. thoughts?

Quoting JeremysMom:

Turn it into a science experiment. I remember reading something that when you try a new food it takes 7 tries to decide if you really like it or not. Chart new foods to see if they like them or not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

How old are they? I'm not a huge fan of dried fruit, even for myself, because they can be so chewy.

Quoting mommy06and09:

im trying to get them to eat dried fruit so i can keep some in the car for them but they hate it. im sick of having crackers in the car. thoughts?

Quoting JeremysMom:

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Are you in the car/on the road a lot? If so, pack a small cooler with fresh fruit and other healthy snacks to see if that helps. I love fresh fruit but dislike dried fruit so I can completely relate to their distaste.

Quoting mommy06and09:

Quoting JeremysMom:

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM

What kind of dried fruit? Dd loves fruit leather

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Dried fruit is gross to me.  I much prefer fresh fruit.   Cheerios , pretzels, etc are all good stable products as well.   Just throw some grapes into a sandwich bag as you head out the door.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Just offer it anwyay.  If they don't eat it, they don't eat it.  Of course, offer foods theyw ill want to eat too.  Pickiness is hard.  I'm the same way!

mommy06and09
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM
the ones that can snack are 3 and 6.

Quoting GwenMB:

How old are they? I'm not a huge fan of dried fruit, even for myself, because they can be so chewy.

Quoting mommy06and09:

Quoting JeremysMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy06and09
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM
unfortunately we are in the car quite a bit and it always seems to happen at snack time. i even try to plan so we get home at snack time but something always seems to happen to keep us out longer than anticipated. and i wont do fresh fruit in the car because they are the messiest kids you will ever meet. i have to vacuum out the car every time they eat in it. then a month later i find pieces of what they ate. i can only imagine how bad the car would smell if i allowed fresh fruit.

Quoting JeremysMom:

Are you in the car/on the road a lot? If so, pack a small cooler with fresh fruit and other healthy snacks to see if that helps. I love fresh fruit but dislike dried fruit so I can completely relate to their distaste.

Quoting mommy06and09:

Quoting JeremysMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM

How about fruit leather (100% fruit, not the typical roll-ups)?  Target has "Archer Farms" brand that my kids like. Instead of dried fruit, have you tried freeze-dried fruit?  Target has freeze dried fruit & veggies that are pretty good, incl the freeze-dried corn.  My picky neice used to eat the corn by the handfuls. 

I also like pretzels & cheese sticks for on-the-go snacks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN