Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Have you ever worked as a parapro?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

If so, what was it like? There is a strong possibility that I will be a parapro next school year. I can't wait but at the same time I am a bit nervous because it will be a huge role change from the position I am currently doing at the school. Any advice?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't been, but I love my parapro!

My advice as a teacher would be not to second guess what the teacher is doing. Most teachers wouldn't mind a parapro, or anyone else, questioning why they do things. But sometimes parapros will decide they know better than teacher and either undermine the teacher or complain behind her back. 

I've had probably a dozen different parapros working in my classroom. I've loved everyone of them except the one who didn't like the way I ran my class. She would interfere with the students and talk smack behind my back. Very unprofessional and uncalled for. She was moved to another teacher and then asked to resign when the same issue came up again. 

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I am a para. I work in a high school special ed classroom.

My advice would be to follow the teacher's directions, ask if you have questions, and don't breech confidentiality. When in doubt refer back to your supervising teacher.

KME3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM
I don't know what that is but from the replies i'm guessing it's what we call a teachers aide. I couldn't do it. Just chaperoning made me want to shoot myself..I couldn't handle a full week like that...just the other day my daughter was telling me how a kid in her class was threatening the teacher...crazy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

My advice would be to follow the teacher's directions, ask if you have questions, and don't breech confidentiality. When in doubt refer back to your supervising teacher.

That's a big one. You will find out all sorts of things about the students. It's hard especially if you live in the same neighborhood as the students, but you can't discuss anything with anyone. 

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM

It is a teachers assistant. We are now called paras, parapros or paraeducators, lol. I could never work at the elementary school level again. I love working at the high school level though.

Quoting KME3:

I don't know what that is but from the replies i'm guessing it's what we call a teachers aide. I couldn't do it. Just chaperoning made me want to shoot myself..I couldn't handle a full week like that...just the other day my daughter was telling me how a kid in her class was threatening the teacher...crazy

KME3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Ah, I see.

Quoting mumsy2three:

It is a teachers assistant. We are now called paras, parapros or paraeducators, lol. I could never work at the elementary school level again. I love working at the high school level though.

Quoting KME3:

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM
I wasn't sure what that was either. We call them paraeducator's here. I hope you get the job next school year. Good luck!
mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM

It amazes me how many people come into our classroom and discuss other students from other rooms with in our program. Mostly b/c like you've said I live in a small rural community and know or have worked with many of the families years ago when I was a TSS.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mumsy2three:

That's a big one. You will find out all sorts of things about the students. It's hard especially if you live in the same neighborhood as the students, but you can't discuss anything with anyone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)