Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Help please i need advice and help on what to do about my sons education

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 15 Replies

ok so on jan 23rd my mom took temp custody of my son untill i get my life straitened out and better with my depression , i live in the city and she lives int he county... my son is 6 years old and special needs and is in special needs class .. well since she took temp custody of my son the school where he was going are being really mean.. they kicked my son out of school last week because my mom just had to go tell them that she had temp custody and that she lived in the county.. so since she lives in the county , that school is now not in his district, the principal is being really rude about it saying its not his problem and he dont care... apparently the county special needs programs here run there special needs classes together from k - 2 and are not even at the level the city was in there special k so my son would only be going backwards , but at the same time i know hes not ready for full on regular k ... doesnt he have rights? isnt there something that can be done? this just dont seem right that they would kick him out of a class that he was finally learning in and just leave him out there to drift downward.. i live in tennessee so if anyone could help with some information i would greatly apprecitate it ... thank you very much..

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I'm sorry, but once you move out of a district, you can no longer attend school in that district.  I realize that you didn't move, but your son did.  The only possible thing that can be done is to see if his previous school would permit your mother to pay tuition for your son to continue to attend school there.

SewingMamaLele
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I'm not certain about tn, but  ca, schools have attendance areas, and if you move, you change schools.

LadyNCVE
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Where I live, once youre child is in, he's in for as long as he is in school. I'd call the school district.  

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM

You have to talk to the districts about it and find out the rules/laws for special needs children regarding where they go to school. Do you mean she lives in the country or a whole different county than where you live?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Really?  I'd love to know where you live because I've never heard of anything like this before.  So you could move 2 hours from the school and your child could still be enrolled there if you chose?

Quoting LadyNCVE:

Where I live, once youre child is in, he's in for as long as he is in school. I'd call the school district.  

LadyNCVE
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I live in Wisconsin. I dont know if the distance matters.  You just have to provide transportation. We also have open enrollment for those who want to send their kids to another district.  

Quoting steelcrazy:

Really?  I'd love to know where you live because I've never heard of anything like this before.  So you could move 2 hours from the school and your child could still be enrolled there if you chose?

Quoting LadyNCVE:

AngelicMommy_72
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I don't really have any knowledge on the laws anything but I'm wishing your son the best honey....... I would hate to get my son all fixed up n have that happen to him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
embyr2727
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

she lives like less than 10 mins away from me ... and thanks you all for responding

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:39 PM
We have this ttoo. Alls we have to do is do the paperwork and provide transportation if its outside of our district. I thought it was nationwide tho as part of the no child left behind act?

Quoting LadyNCVE:

I live in Wisconsin. I dont know if the distance matters.  You just have to provide transportation. We also have open enrollment for those who want to send their kids to another district.  

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LadyNCVE:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Does your mom have legal custody of your son? If not, perhaps you can keep his address with you even while he's staying there?

The thing is, if he's in another school district/zone then they may be within their rights to remove him... If that's his legal residence. I know some states allow open enrollment or paying to have your child attend an out-of-district school, but you'd have to check on your state and district policy specifically. That's why I'd look into keeping his legal residence as your home if you can, assuming the long-term plan is for him to come home anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)