Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How many children are in your child's classroom?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:40 AM
  • 146 Replies

I just found out the average class size at my son's school is 27!  Does that seems like a lot? No teacher assistant either, my son is shy, I worry about him getting lost in the crowd when it comes to his education, but maybe I am over reacting, what do you think??  Should I explore other options??

Edit/add on

Me son is in preschool, at the current public school that our neighborhood is assigned, he has 8 children in his current class.  I choose it thinking kindergarten would be easier because he will know the school, due to his shyness.  He has one more year of preschool the kindergarten.  I just found out the other day about their k-5th class size.  I am happy to see all the comments on class sizes, good to know I'm not over reacting.  

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GotSomeKids
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM

It is a lot.  My daughers 4th grade class has 28 students.  I'm not sure about my son, because he has several different teachers, but his homeroom is around 30-35 students.  Not sure right now.

Last year, my son's 5th grade class had 35 students.  I remember, I would volunteer in the class, walk in and think "I can't even fit between the desks".

My son was shy when he was younger.  We couldn't afford alternative options, so we had to show him how and encourage him to advocate for himself.  In otherwords, if he needed help, he had to ask the teacher or another student (in school of course).

danichaos
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:06 AM

22 students in dd's classroom give or take any that move away or move in.   Talk to his teacher and see what they see in their classroom for your childs progress.  The teacher should be able to tell you about any problems they may see.  Have you visited during the day to see how the class is run yet?  I want to do that but everyone agrees that i would just be a larger distraction to dd right now.

Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:10 AM
16 in my son's second grade class.

19 in my son's prek 4 class, but there is a full time CDA as the assistant with a certified teacher as the lead teacher. Both have to be there at all times.
jlynnsalazar
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM
I put my kids in a small school. No more than 20 kiddos
kblpooh
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM
My daughter who is in 3rd grade has 18 and my daughter in 6th grade is in a double classroom, that has 2 teachers that share a large room of 2 classes. They sometimes co teach and other times they have a curtain pulled between the 2 sides. I believe each class has 20 or 22 kids in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Depends on the grade. The high school classes seem to have a little more in them and the younger kids a little less but I would say anywhere between 15-25

lucsch
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:19 AM

One, as we homeschool.

keeler_s
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:19 AM
19,23 & 24
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM

13 from 3 different grades. But that is the middle school excellerated class... in the standard 8th grade class there are 17.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN