Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

am I asking too much of her?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 31 Replies
Am I expecting too much when I assume my 7 1/2 year old DD can pick out her own clothes? I mean, that actually sort of match, that fit and are presentable for school? Today, for example, she picks out a bright red and lime green shirt with a puppy dog wearing a Santa claus hat, and hot pink leggings, with neon yellow socks.
And she would have gone to school without a second thought if I had let her.
My second question is, at her age, if she's okay with wearing something like that, should I just let her wear it? I feel like maybe I should pick my battles and if she doesn't care, maybe I shouldn't either?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I have a son, and so he doesn't have bright neon clothes....But he was starting to pick out his own clothes since he was 5 or 6. If something didn't match, I would point it out. Sometimes he would change, and sometimes he wouldn't.

At that age, I only dictated what he should wear if it was an important occasion.

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes and no.  We sectioned out our 7 1/2 yr old closet into school clothes and play clothes (and removed anything seasonal, like Santa), and same thing with her drawers.  From there, she can pick out what she wants from her school clothes section.  We might say something to her like, "I don't think that matches very well, do you?"  And if she says that is what she wants to wear, we let it go.  The only time we put our foot down is if it is not weather appropriate.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM
It depend on how big of a battle it is.

If you let her pick it our and ask her to change doe she have a fit? Or go with it?

If she has a fit. Let her wear it. If she gets laughed at maybe she will make better choices. Who cares. I just say, "she dressed herselfm"

You might go to giving her choices. Let her choose thetop or bpttom and you choose the other half. Or work with her to choose the night before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scoleman828
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM
She has been picking out play clothes/weekend clothes for a while but for school, I had been setting stuff out the night before because it made mornings less hectic. She's not really a morning person and getting her going is a struggle. We have talked about what matches, what doesn't, etc.
I asked her to change her shirt this morning and she pouted and sulked back to her room. I guess,maybe I should have just let it go if it's what she wanted. I just worry (probably unreasonably so) that she will never develop a sense of "appropriate" and will end up being picked on...

Quoting Barabell:

I have a son, and so he doesn't have bright neon clothes....But he was starting to pick out his own clothes since he was 5 or 6. If something didn't match, I would point it out. Sometimes he would change, and sometimes he wouldn't.

At that age, I only dictated what he should wear if it was an important occasion.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scoleman828
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM
She typically sulks and pouts. We used to set out clothes the night before because it was less stressful in the mornings. I guess what I am worried about is her getting picked on but, I guess if she doesn't care, I shouldn't either. Maybe if her classmates pick on her, it will make her care more than me "forcing" her to wear a certain thing.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

It depend on how big of a battle it is.

If you let her pick it our and ask her to change doe she have a fit? Or go with it?

If she has a fit. Let her wear it. If she gets laughed at maybe she will make better choices. Who cares. I just say, "she dressed herselfm"

You might go to giving her choices. Let her choose thetop or bpttom and you choose the other half. Or work with her to choose the night before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I used to fight thid battle all the time until I saw how other kids weredressing and found that was truly bizarre to me was more or less the norm. LOL! As long as she's dressed appropriately for weather, I don't care what outfit she's put together.

Last week DD woke up on the wrong side of the bed and appropriately chose to wear her Halloween shirt that has a witch's body and her head is the witch's head. I let her wear it and just smiled to myself as she got out of the car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scoleman828
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I guess I just missed this particular shirt when I was sorting stuff out after Christmas. I wish I had the space to separate her school and play clothes. Hopefully soon, I will. We live in a 2 bedroom with 3 kids (our youngest are twins, surprise! Lol) so they all 3 share a room. Doesn't leave much space for organization. We're moving in July so I'm just trying to hold out till then...
But, I guess when I mentioned it and she didn't seem to care, I should just let it go...

Quoting anotherandree:

Yes and no.  We sectioned out our 7 1/2 yr old closet into school clothes and play clothes (and removed anything seasonal, like Santa), and same thing with her drawers.  From there, she can pick out what she wants from her school clothes section.  We might say something to her like, "I don't think that matches very well, do you?"  And if she says that is what she wants to wear, we let it go.  The only time we put our foot down is if it is not weather appropriate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter has been picking her own clothes since about that age. She never matches. If she doesn't care neither do I. As long as it appropriate for school and the weather I let her wear whatever. I'll mention if its a little out there but the choice is hers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scoleman828
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Maybe I should pay more attention to what others are wearing. I guess I'm worried about her getting picked on or that people think I'm lazy because I let her wear mismatched clothes...

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I used to fight thid battle all the time until I saw how other kids weredressing and found that was truly bizarre to me was more or less the norm. LOL! As long as she's dressed appropriately for weather, I don't care what outfit she's put together.

Last week DD woke up on the wrong side of the bed and appropriately chose to wear her Halloween shirt that has a witch's body and her head is the witch's head. I let her wear it and just smiled to myself as she got out of the car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I would let her wear it. I even let me 3 year old pick out her own clothes. I just make sure there are weather appropriate things in their drawers. I do have final say though, but usually only make them change if they try to wear the same thing more that once a week once it is clean. The only time I am strict is stuff like school concerts, school pictures, ect. Otherwise as long as it fits, is clean and has no holes, I don't care much,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)