Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

my daughter is getting made fun of for her backpack!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 47 Replies
She is in 1st grade .. she came home the other say and said she needs a new backpack .. I asked her why and she just kept saying because .. so I asked if it was ripped or something was wrong with it.. I knew there wasn't abd she said no.. so finally she told me that some older girl keeps telling her that her backpack is ugly.. its black and has hello Kitty on it.. so I explained to her that she is trying to make herself feel better and to just ignore her, unless she physically touches her.. I told her even if she got a new backpack she would probably still say something about it.. its just do dumb I don't understand kids picking on kids especially over a backpack!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyNCVE
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM
3 moms liked this
How much older is this girl? Much older? I'd be saying something? A little older? I'd teach my child to kindly defend herself. Kids can be such brats. I see it more with girls. :(
Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I don't get it either. My son especially has had some negative comments about a few things he wears, and I'm just wondering if these little brats would like to be the one financially supporting my kids wardrobe lol. Some of the things they pick on make absolutely no sense to me. I make sure that my kids have quality clothes and shoes, and I encourage them to have their own likes and style and I will accommodate that within reason. So when I buy my son a $100 pair of shoes and he refuses to wear them because some kid felt they needed to make a nasty comment about them, it really makes me angry.

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM

This is sad, but a great teaching moment, teaching her to not allow her actions, decisions, opinions, etc. be swayed by those around her.  Stand her ground, etc.  If SHE likes her backpack, that's all that matters.

I failed at that last year with my 7th grade son.  He picked out some jeans he really liked.  He's skinny as a rail and they were "slim" (NOT SKINNY JEANS).  They made him look taller too (though he's pretty tall) and he really liked them.

Then, at school, the girls were teasing him for wearing skinny jeans.  He wasn't - but, they did emphasize his skinniness I guess, you know?  Not 'hidden' by baggier pants.  Hard as I tried to teach him the lesson I  mentioned above, he wouldn't wear those jeans anymore, and only wears wind/track pants now.  :(  I felt SO bad that HE felt so embarrassed and refused to wear something he actually liked because of what other people said.

Hopefully you'll have better luck.

HyperMom38
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM

So sad...  I'd just keep reinforcing to her that everyone has different tastes and it is OK to like what you like no matter what someone else says.  If it keeps up and it starts affecting your daughter's self esteem I would definitely call it to the teacher's attention so the school can step in and stop the situation.

Peachy34500
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM
She doesn't know how old she is.. she just knows she's not in 1st grade

Quoting LadyNCVE:

How much older is this girl? Much older? I'd be saying something? A little older? I'd teach my child to kindly defend herself. Kids can be such brats. I see it more with girls. :(

Peachy34500
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
That's exactly what I told her .. if she likes it thats all that matters!

Quoting the3Rs:

This is sad, but a great teaching moment, teaching her to not allow her actions, decisions, opinions, etc. be swayed by those around her.  Stand her ground, etc.  If SHE likes her backpack, that's all that matters.

I failed at that last year with my 7th grade son.  He picked out some jeans he really liked.  He's skinny as a rail and they were "slim" (NOT SKINNY JEANS).  They made him look taller too (though he's pretty tall) and he really liked them.

Then, at school, the girls were teasing him for wearing skinny jeans.  He wasn't - but, they did emphasize his skinniness I guess, you know?  Not 'hidden' by baggier pants.  Hard as I tried to teach him the lesson I  mentioned above, he wouldn't wear those jeans anymore, and only wears wind/track pants now.  :(  I felt SO bad that HE felt so embarrassed and refused to wear something he actually liked because of what other people said.

holland0226
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Not sure if it matters but my daughter is in 1st grade and she has a black backpack with Hello Kitty on it and the matching lunch box and she loves it!

aj23
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My niece is in the 1st grade and keeps asking for a Hello Kitty backpack because that's what the other girls have. 

What's the schools bully policy? Here older girl would get one warning and then get suspended or picking on her. They don't tolerate it at all.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I totally agree with her first paragraph here.  Use this as a teaching moment to not change her views on something just because someone else does.  

If that other girl continues to cause problems, especially if it escalates to physical abuse, then by all means speak to the teacher and others about it.

I was picked on for many of the same things when I was in school . Seemed nothing I could get/have was "good enough" for the popular crowd.  I finally stopped caring about what they said.  Turns out, some of my items were big fads teh following year LOL.

the3Rs, you will have more chances to work on him with that.  A good story though, hopefully next time he won't be so swayed.

Quoting the3Rs:

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Unfortunally this is the way kids are. It was like that when I went to school also. You just to teach your child to ignore it, I know she is young, but have her start now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN