Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

bullying problems.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 14 Replies
my son is 5. he is in kindergarten. he goes to two different school. church school and public school. each school is half days. so he goes half day to one and the other half to the other. he has all the characteristics of aspergers but the Drs wont diagnose him because they say he's too smart. he has social issues which is why we put him in two different schools. he is doing great in churcih school. bit he is having problems in public school. he is having a really big issue with bullying. he had a sixth grader bully him in the restroom. the teacher sends them to the restroom by themselves. and kids from k-6 are allowed in the restroom. my son was bullied in g the restroom. he was also bullied in his class. and on the bus. he told me he tried to tell his teacher but she wouldn't listen. then last week he had a really bad ear infection and she wouldn't listen when he tried to tell her his ears hurt. last week a little boy I watch in daycare brought a knife to school to protect himself. he has the same teacher but is in the morning class my son is in the afternoon. another boy got a pencil shoved underneath his nailbed by another child. my son hates this school every day he says he days he is afraid of getting bullied. when the boy brought the knife to school none of the parents were told. we don't know what to do. we finally have a chance to get him on an iep for his school. to help with his social issues but I don't know if I should keep him in. when nothing is being done
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
axandra85
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I completely agree intelligence has nothing to do with aspergers
Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I would be bringing this crap up to the principal, school board, etc. When I reported that my kids were being bullied the boys schools stepped up and got it taken care of immediately.

kinder and 6th graders shouldn't be in the bathrooms together. There is something wrong with the teachers if they find this to be acceptable not to mention turning a blind eye and ear to the safety of children. 

axandra85
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM
bump
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM

You need to remember that what ever punishment another child receives is private information between the school and his parents.  So you really don't have the right to know what happened with the kid who brought the knife to school. 

As far as the bullying goes, have you tried roll playing with your son about what he should do in different bullying situations?  Also role play with him on how to tell the teacher/another adult when someone hurts him.  Not all kids know how to tell another grown up.

You may also want to consider having a face to face meeting with the teacher to discuss your concerns with your son.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The kids in the bathroom together most likely occured during class time, not regularly scheduled restroom breaks.  If a child asks to use the restroom during class, the teacher has no way of knowing or controlling who else is in the restroom at that same time.  After all, it is a public restroom and the sixth grader has just as much right to use the restroom as the kindergartener does.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I would be bringing this crap up to the principal, school board, etc. When I reported that my kids were being bullied the boys schools stepped up and got it taken care of immediately.

kinder and 6th graders shouldn't be in the bathrooms together. There is something wrong with the teachers if they find this to be acceptable not to mention turning a blind eye and ear to the safety of children. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM
If you haven't had an in-person meeting with the teacher, do so and ask the principal and student support counselor to be there too. If she won't agree, just have the meeting without her. You have the right to have your concerns heard and addressed. If they don't help, go to the superintendent and start attending board meetings.

I agree with Steel in that role playing can help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Too smart?  Asbergers children are HIGHLY intelligent.  It's a SOCIAL disability, not an intelligence disability..

corrinacs
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Oh wow, after hearing about this.  I think I responded to a previous post that you had ealier today, right?

Get him out of htat public school.  Seems like they dot NOT have thier stuff together.

Does the church school have the proper academics to qualify it as Kindergarten?  If so, there's no reason he needs to be in public school, especially one thats like that!!!!!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM

My answer wil ldepend on your decision for upcmoing grades... where will DS go to school for Elementary?

If he will go ot the church school - then pull him out of the public program and let him do the 1/2 day at the church.

If you intend to put him in Public school - Whatever concerns you hve need to be put IN WRITING to the teacher and principal. Set up a meeting, face to face and have them sign your copy that you received it and work together, at that meeting to come up with a suitable plan of action.

Once you are out of the meeting, end the letter of concerns and a copy of the plan of action to the school board stating that you will take legal action if they cannot protect your Ds.

If you have ever considered homeschooling - then pull him from public school NOW and start enjoying DS. You can do co-op/group events, sports and clubs to ensure DS gets the social interaction he needs while allowing him to do school work at his own pace andlearn to hisfull ability. No matter how smart he is, the social/emotional aspect wil lhold him back in teh public school setting.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I get that.... OP is making it seem like it's something that is happening when Kinder is going down to the restroom (at least that's how I took it). I get the teacher sends them down when they have to go and it happens once in awhile but if kinders are continuously being bullied it shouldn't be happening at all.

Quoting steelcrazy:

The kids in the bathroom together most likely occured during class time, not regularly scheduled restroom breaks.  If a child asks to use the restroom during class, the teacher has no way of knowing or controlling who else is in the restroom at that same time.  After all, it is a public restroom and the sixth grader has just as much right to use the restroom as the kindergartener does.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)