Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Going back to school after illness?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM
  • 15 Replies
I know the policies vary by district, and since my son attends a private preschool (public K in the fall), I'm not sure where to find our policy. So I'm just looking for input about when you allow your child to go back to school after having been sick?

I always stick to 24 hrs fever-free,but he hasn't had a fever this time. He was throwing up late last night, but hasn't been puking today at all. His energy is low, but he was up quite a bit last night. If he says he feels ok in the morning, should I send him? What would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

For here it's 24 hours fever free along with throwing up and diarrhea. So it would have to be 24 hours free from throwing up. You have to just kinda see how he is in the morning, if it's over 24 hours since the last time he got sick.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Our district (and all the others I'm familiar with) it's 24 hours with no fevor, vomiting, or diarrhea.  If he hasn't thrown up since last night and has no other symptoms, you should be okay to send him tommorow if he's feeling okay.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Our school's policy is 24 hours fever, vomiting, and/or diarrhea free.  Most public and private schools follow these same rules.

Preschools and day care center rules would vary greatly though and they really aren't a real school IMO.  I should add that both of my boys went to a private preschool in a church.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I'm with jen113000, 24 hours with no other symptoms.

Especially iwth the norovirus going around, you want to be sure he no longer has diarreah either.  That mess is contagious! 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I definitely agree. I had seen 48 hrs somewhere with vomiting/diarrhea, which is why I'm asking... I don't want to keep the bug going, even if that's where it came from!

Quoting corrinacs:

Especially iwth the norovirus going around, you want to be sure he no longer has diarreah either.  That mess is contagious! 

Morrigan333
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Due to the vomitting and lack of sleep...i'd keep him home another day. my dd and I went to the dr today and she has the flu..she's off for the rest of the week(she's been home since Tuesday).

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM

This is why I was saying that the rules for preschools and daycare centers vary greatly and are different from public and private schools.

Our preschool always handed out an informational booklet at the start of every school year.  It outlined tuition payments, how to get in touch with the teacher, and their rules for illness, as well as tons of other pertinent information.

If you really aren't sure, contact the teacher.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I definitely agree. I had seen 48 hrs somewhere with vomiting/diarrhea, which is why I'm asking... I don't want to keep the bug going, even if that's where it came from!

Quoting corrinacs:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Oh no. :-( Hope she rests up and feels better soon.

Quoting Morrigan333:

Due to the vomitting and lack of sleep...i'd keep him home another day. my dd and I went to the dr today and she has the flu..she's off for the rest of the week(she's been home since Tuesday).

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM
I saw that in relation to Norovirus in public schools, not to "not real" preschool, thanks so much. I know I can contact the school, and I might if we feel uncertain. I'm just asking for advice from moms with more experience. That's what I appreciate about CM, and why I'm here.

Quoting steelcrazy:

This is why I was saying that the rules for preschools and daycare centers vary greatly and are different from public and private schools.

Our preschool always handed out an informational booklet at the start of every school year.  It outlined tuition payments, how to get in touch with the teacher, and their rules for illness, as well as tons of other pertinent information.

If you really aren't sure, contact the teacher.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting corrinacs:

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

This is what our district sent out in December as a reminder. I follow the 24 hour symptom free rule with my kids.

If your child has any of the following symptoms, they should not come to school because they may have the flu or another contagious virus:

·      A fever over 100 degrees in the past 24 hours

·      Vomiting in the past 24 hours

·      Diarrhea in the past 24 hours

·      Chills

·      Sore throat

·      Strep Throat (if the child not on an antibiotic for 24 hours)

·      Bad cold with very runny nose and/or bad cough, especially if it the child did not sleep well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN