Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Suggestions for learning to read, please?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM
  • 32 Replies

My kindergartner is struggling horribly with reading.  He has the lowest scores in his class, and is below where he's expected to be at this point.

It's as if one second he does okay, and the next he doesn't know anything.  He cries every night that everyone's smarter than him - Sometimes I wonder if there's a learning disability, however he's too young to be tested.. And his teachers aren't overly concerned yet. He does have an aid that works with him daily.. I'm working on building his confidance but as of yet, nothing we've done has helped.  He knows how to sound out words, and make each letters sound however I can't seem to get him to actually put those sounds together to make a word, he makes each sound individually.. he just doesn't comprehend how to put them together to make one (or two or three per syllable) sound. Have you struggled with learning to read? What did you do? Or what would you try if it became an issue?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Starfall.com is good for phonics and is interactive.  Alot of the various preschool shows are still good for literacy as they usually will put words up on screen and talk about them.  Are you reading with him daily?  Have simple picture books around the house since that is the first stage of reading - figuring out story with the help of  the pictures.  DD is in 1st grade and while her reading is at grade level or higher, we are working on her comprehension - being able to talk about the story right after reading it.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Practice, practice, practice.  Have him read to you and you read to him.  You can also have him read to a pet or stuffed animal.  Read books, read road signs, read signs in stores, read anything and everything.  Also labeling common items around the house will help him begin to recognize those words easier.  Things like lamp, chair, table, bed, etc.

piwife
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I agree starfall is awesome!! Also read to him everday read read read everything. I been doin that with my daughter since 2 yrs old. She started to do starfall at 3. She is almost 6 now in k and top reader in her class. Make it fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I like Starfall, but I like Reading Eggs even better.  It has more repetition and varies instruction - sight words, phonics, etc.  When DD was in preschool and kindy, I operated the mouse for her and she just pointed at the answer.  I think they have apps for the iPad too. 

Also, it could be that he just isn't developmentally ready yet to read.  Is he young for his class?

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with PPs, they use starfall.com in school. Have his eyes checked too (by an optomestrist, not his pedi).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

I like Starfall, but I like Reading Eggs even better.  It has more repetition and varies instruction - sight words, phonics, etc.  When DD was in preschool and kindy, I operated the mouse for her and she just pointed at the answer.  I think they have apps for the iPad too. 

Also, it could be that he just isn't developmentally ready yet to read.  Is he young for his class?

I haven't heard of reading Eggs, I'll check that out.

His birthday is November 16th, late so he's actually older than everyone as he turned 6 in November. 

We were singing songs and coloring shapes in Kindergarten.. this is NOT the Kindergarten of the 80's and early 90's..

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Comic books. Its how my son learned how to read after I was told he would never be verbal or learn to read. Now I can't get his nose OUT of a book.

ms.bardes
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM
yeah my son was usuing starfall in his regular k class but now that he's in his autism class not sure but I know that he loves star fall and he has improved
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Also, read.pages twice...or more so he can be familiar with the word better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

BTW, Reading Eggs is computer based and is about $60 per year, but you can do a free trial to see if he likes it.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/readingeggs.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)