Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I Couldn't Let Him Do It

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM
  • 18 Replies

I just couldn't do it.  I've been telling myself to let my son fail and he will learn.  But, I couldn't do it.  Not because I'm soft.  It's because I know he has it in him to do better.  He's just being lazy.

So, he has to turn in all his notes tomorrow for his research project.  He has to show his sources (with citation) and notes.  The notes were suppose to be hand written, but he types them.  I'd be a little irritated if she marks him off for that.  She should be happy, he has terrible handwriting.  But, I digress.  He was suppose to summarize all his notes for each source.

So, I asked to see them (I've been checking his work since his language arts teacher has been getting on him about incomplete sentances).  Yeah, every sentance in every summary (7 sources, 7 summaries) started out with "Like".  And, every paragraph is suppose to have 7 sentances (I hate this requirement).  He had at most 3 sentances.  All started with "like" and all said the same thing.

I looked at him (a bit irritated knowing he was going to get mad because I was about to make him do it over) and said "dude, I start every sentance out of my mouth with DUDE.  But, I never start a sentance in my reports/research with the word DUDE and you shouldn't start every sentance with the word LIKE".    I've told him this before, but I think he thought I wasn't going to check (or hoping).

So, we sat there and I showed him how to develop his thought process, keep his paragraphs parallel (I'm a little surprised the teachers have not taught them parallel writing), don't start with like, but, or because.  I could go on. 

Well, low and behold, two hours later, he was laughing and proud of himself at how much better his paper was.  I made him read the original summary and the new summary and asked him if it was better.  I think he thought he now sounds like all those scientist on the Science Channel.  I also showed him how to pick out key points from his notes to talk to the judges at the science fair about.  Connect the information with personal stories to make the information relatable (one of his earthquakes happened on my birthday in 1989).

So, this long story only to say, my family are a bunch of nerds!!!!  Waiting to win a trip to CERN.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Sentences NOT sentance    ..... I am glad that he is connecting the dots for his classwork and homework.  What grade is he in for this level of language arts?

GotSomeKids
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Thanks man.  I thought I might be spelling it wrong.  Spelling is one of my many downfalls.   Too tired right now.

He is in the 6th grade, but in a challenge academy.  So, he is doing 6th and 7th grade work simultaneously.  Thankfully, the teacher has the report broken down into sections.  He has to present it to the academy and then again at the state science fair (next month).

:)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Sentences NOT sentance    ..... I am glad that he is connecting the dots for his classwork and homework.  What grade is he in for this level of language arts?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Your welcome,   I am the girl everyone would come to for proofreading since my accuracy was 90% better than spell checking on computer.   DD is in the 1st grade so I am hoping by the time older grades come around she will be much better about her writing/language arts.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Thanks man.  I thought I might be spelling it wrong.  Spelling is one of my many downfalls.   Too tired right now.

He is in the 6th grade, but in a challenge academy.  So, he is doing 6th and 7th grade work simultaneously.  Thankfully, the teacher has the report broken down into sections.  He has to present it to the academy and then again at the state science fair (next month).

Quoting frndlyfn:

GotSomeKids
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:25 AM

The weird things is, when I was younger, I use to be pretty good at spelling.  Then, here came spell check and I started second guessing myself all the time.  Even tonight.  While helping my son, I had to seriously get hooked on phonics.  My son thought it was funny, but I told him, oh mister, one day you will discover your weakness and it isn't going to be funny anymore.

My son knows all these great words (and for the most part can spell them correctly). He gets most of them from his reading and the Science Channel.  Sometimes, I have to look them up in the dictionary.  But, I never see it in his writing.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that he is only 12.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Your welcome,   I am the girl everyone would come to for proofreading since my accuracy was 90% better than spell checking on computer.   DD is in the 1st grade so I am hoping by the time older grades come around she will be much better about her writing/language arts.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I am a big time reader so that is how i know most words/spellings.  I can find at least one error in every book i read though.

GotSomeKids
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM

My kids catch errors in their teachers work too.  I tell them to circle it (just like the teacher would) and make the correction.  That way, she knows to pay more attention to detail and she will also know, you are paying attention to detail.

I read a lot too.  Love to read.  Funny story, I use to work in a movie theater.  But, on my close out paperwork I use to always write "theatre".  One day, my manager (after something like 2 years) told me I was spelling it wrong.  We went back and forth and neither of us had a dictionary.  Finally, I picked up a book I was reading at the time and showed him it was t-h-e-a-t-r-e.  He flips it over and says "this is an English author.  They spell it different across the pond".  Yeah, we got a good laugh over it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I am a big time reader so that is how i know most words/spellings.  I can find at least one error in every book i read though.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Seee I think of theatre as the live perfomances and theater as in the films  LOL  Does that mean i am british now?   That is a funny story though that after 2 years he tells you this.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Were you a theatre major in college? Because I was in stage management, and every former theatre student I know makes this distinction... :-)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Seee I think of theatre as the live perfomances and theater as in the films  LOL  Does that mean i am british now?   That is a funny story though that after 2 years he tells you this.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope but I will take that as a compliment to think i was in that realm.   It is just how my brain works.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Were you a theatre major in college? Because I was in stage management, and every former theatre student I know makes this distinction... :-)

Quoting frndlyfn:

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

My son can tend to be the same way with his writing! The words get mixed up in his head and he will think of the whole, huge picture of what he is trying to say (even with an outline in front of him) instead of focusing on each sentence and paragraph individually and adding details and interesting points. I used to sit with him and not tell him what to write, but would say things like, "That is a nice sentence! But now you've left me wanting to know MORE about it! More details! More details!" LOL Now if I look over a paper and it's lacking I just read it out loud to him. He doesn't necessarily "hear" the repetitiveness when it's in writing, but when he hears it out loud he knows it needs more! He's good about going back and revamping now!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN