Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Recommendations?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son is struggling to learn to read. He recognizes words, can even tell you what they are after he hears them several times, but when you ask him to try to read them, he has trouble trying to fit the sounds together, I guess you would say. Any of you mamas have any recommendations on reading systems? I know phonics is how I learned as a kid but there are so many different programs.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Starfall.com is a great site.  The free stuff we used.  We have not used the paid version.  Also DD liked a dvd series called Rock N Learn for site words and phonics.   Just keep reading to him as well.   Have you tried tag readers from leapfrog brand?

mrsjksimmons
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I have not. I am trying to find the best thing to use since I would like to buy him something with our income tax. I'm just not sure what. lol That's the problem. Too many options. ☺

Quoting frndlyfn:

Starfall.com is a great site.  The free stuff we used.  We have not used the paid version.  Also DD liked a dvd series called Rock N Learn for site words and phonics.   Just keep reading to him as well.   Have you tried tag readers from leapfrog brand?

rHOPEb
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I learned on the Abeka cirriculum and that is what my daughter is using.  Some like it and some do not.  If you have any devices (ipad, ipod, kindle, etc) you can download apps to help with sounds and putting them together.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Are you homeschooling? or is he in public school and you want to supplement.

I used a combination of phonics, Leapfrog word factory, BOB books and Dr. Seuss books to teach my DD to read.

Phonics books I bought atthe 99c store or walmart. BOB Books are like $10 a set at Barnes & Noble. Leapfrog DVDs are about $15-20 (if I remeber right - I borrowed them from our library)

mrsjksimmons
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Supplementing the lousy public school education around here and possibly homeschooling next year. Not sure.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I used a combination of phonics, Leapfrog word factory, BOB books and Dr. Seuss books to teach my DD to read.

Phonics books I bought atthe 99c store or walmart. BOB Books are like $10 a set at Barnes & Noble. Leapfrog DVDs are about $15-20 (if I remeber right - I borrowed them from our library)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

If you decide to go the homeschooling route - I can not parise All About Reading/All About Spelling enough!

The boxed set is less than $50 in a nice kit  with books, CDs tiles, magnets - the whole everything - if you wanted the bare minimum you could get the manipulatives for about $40 and then each boo/level is about $30.

It's a multi-sensory approach and has them do things verbally, with letter tiles and writing on paper. We use the letter tiles and do relays with htem to make it fun or use white boards instead of wrtitng. Two of my kids are learing ASL so sometimes we fingerspell the words to keep it interesting.

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

Supplementing the lousy public school education around here and possibly homeschooling next year. Not sure.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

mrsjksimmons
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM

If we decide to homeschool, I will definitely keep this in mind. The more the bullying goes on, the more I'm ready to just do it.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

If you decide to go the homeschooling route - I can not parise All About Reading/All About Spelling enough!

The boxed set is less than $50 in a nice kit  with books, CDs tiles, magnets - the whole everything - if you wanted the bare minimum you could get the manipulatives for about $40 and then each boo/level is about $30.

It's a multi-sensory approach and has them do things verbally, with letter tiles and writing on paper. We use the letter tiles and do relays with htem to make it fun or use white boards instead of wrtitng. Two of my kids are learing ASL so sometimes we fingerspell the words to keep it interesting.

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM

How old is your son?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM

For the price,  All About Reading might even be a good supplemental curriculum. each lesson is TOTALLY laid out for you and takes less than 20 minutes a day.

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

If we decide to homeschool, I will definitely keep this in mind. The more the bullying goes on, the more I'm ready to just do it.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: 

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM

When he is watching tv, turn on the closed captioning. It's the same idea as a book on tape/cd- he'll both hear and see the words. Dh is hard of hearing, so we usually have the CC on, and that's how dd learned to read; I didn't even know she had learned how until at age 4 she read me the last page of a book we had never read before.

Definitely keep working w/ him on phonics and stringing sounds together, but the CC can be a great help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)