Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

IEP

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM
  • 21 Replies

How do you find a local advocate to go to meeting with you? 

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Can I ask why you need an advocate? 

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Search online, it should bring up ones in your area.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thebailiffs
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I would suggest if there are is a local chapter/organization for the disability your child has that they need the IEP for. 

I am sorry you feel you need an advocate..

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM

No clue.  We havent needed one for anything yet.   Why would you need one or does the child have one already for these types of situations?

MrsAmyLynn83
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:14 AM

The school can set you up with someone. Contact them before your meeting. 

Just wondering - Why do you need one? My son has an IEP - has since he started Kindergarten. I've never heard of anyone needing an advocate. 

MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I have never heard of anyone not needing an advocate (ok thats an exaggeration but seriously the school where I live fight hard to avoid offering services they dont even want to evaluate)

OP where do you live? There is an agency named CASE I forget what the letters stand for but they have advocates you can also cal you special ed office ours is called selpa and they can usually refer you to advocacy services and one other agency I know of in Nor Cal is Matrix I have a ton of links bookmarked regarding IEP and special ed laws etc try Wrights Law I will look up their web address and post it here later I only have an hour to finish my homework so i should log off but will log on after that

janitablue
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:37 AM

I don't have time now but I am interest to know what is IEP I will look it up online post back the result if I remember.

jhelmke
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:47 AM

I need one do to the last time I had a meeting at the school the psychologist said my being a working mom is why my son is dyslexic and has sensory issues. She attacked me.   The whole group kept saying you do not want him label. It was up hill battle.   He needs up to date testing.   He needs help. Schools do not want to pay for testing and extra help.   We were tricked last time paying for the testing and than they said they had to do their own.  Oh boy the way it would be next year.

Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Our school district provides one to a parent if they want one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BKozICan
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:51 AM

That is so sad--as if there wasn't enough hassle to deal with daily.

Our 3-school age program here is pretty lousy and I know we've had to quote the law back at them once or twice (after the first threat to file a complaint with Dept. of Ed they got hopping), but birth-3 and school age are gems to work with. I don't know of anyone who has needed an advocate. We all wish for more services, but acknowledge we are receiving fairly.

HOWEVER, I admit that we, and most special needs families we know pretty well, are upper middle class with parents who are/were involved in negotiations in daily life and jobs. 

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

I have never heard of anyone not needing an advocate (ok thats an exaggeration but seriously the school where I live fight hard to avoid offering services they dont even want to evaluate)

OP where do you live? There is an agency named CASE I forget what the letters stand for but they have advocates you can also cal you special ed office ours is called selpa and they can usually refer you to advocacy services and one other agency I know of in Nor Cal is Matrix I have a ton of links bookmarked regarding IEP and special ed laws etc try Wrights Law I will look up their web address and post it here later I only have an hour to finish my homework so i should log off but will log on after that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)