Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Poll

Question: Do you know where you child ranks nationally on standardized testing? (Average)

Options:

97%-99%

90%-96%

85%-89%

80%-84%

70%-79%

55%-69%

40%-54%

39% or less

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

So in a couple of other threads ranking, labeling, test scores, and grades have come up.    THis is a hot-button topic for many and it seems that alot of us are on very different pages when it comes to these ratings, why we have them, and what they mean.  So I am curious.  Where does everyone stand?  

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I don't know my kids' percentages (and even if I did I couldn't vote for all 3 of my kids and I'm sure they are all over the board). When the results come to us they only say whether the child is performing at a basic, proficient, or above average level- percentages are not given.

Other forms of testing are scored differently. My kids get Lexile reading point scores and a chart saying at which level they are reading (often overlapping- ie: my youngest falls into a category that overlaps 5th-6th grade- so he would be considered an above average 5th grade reader, proficient 6th grade reader.)

They have dibels testing. 4site testing (sp??). Some of my kids have had IQ tests. There are probably more that I'm forgetting.

All scored in different ways.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I didn't realize that they nationally ranked elementary students for anything, let alone test scores.  I wonder if Harvard and Yale are already fighting over recruiting the child ranked first in the nation for college 10 years from now?  

BTW - I didn't vote because the option that I would have chosen isn't there.  It would be "Parents need to get a grip on reality, this is ridiculous!"

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I didn't realize that they nationally ranked elementary students for anything, let alone test scores.  I wonder if Harvard and Yale are already fighting over recruiting the child ranked first in the nation for college 10 years from now?  

BTW - I didn't vote because the option that I would have chosen isn't there.  It would be "Parents need to get a grip on reality, this is ridiculous!"

I'm glad that I'm not the only one confused by this post! So many people have replied that I am surprised that only you and I have commented that there is no national ranking.

I didn't vote either. I agree with what you'd vote for, in addition to it being impossible to vote on a ranking that doesn't exist.

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Not nationally, but for state I do.  However, as with everything else, he doesn't fit neatly into the box.  He 97-99 in read, lit and such.  But, 90-96% in math.  I don't really care.  The only reason I know is the state invited him to test into the local challenge academy.  So, we had to have the scores explained to us, in order to understand where he was in the process.

Daughter is 85-89% in reading and 90-96% in math.

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Our son is the same way.  We wondered if he was gifted and talked with teachers at length.  Even went to a seminar at a school for the gifted.  We determined he is not gifted and he is just fine with that.  However, he is in a challenge academy which is an accelerated program.  So, he is learning 6-8th grade work simultaneously (depending on which classes he has for the semester).  But, technically he is in 6th grade. He seems to like it, aside from complaining about all the extra work.

:)

Quoting coolmommy2x:

This is CM where EVERY mom's kid is in the gifted program, has a higher than genius IQ and should be skipping grades.

Not mine. He's smart and does very well in school (Honor Roll and yes, 90th percentile on state scores) but he's not gifted and I am OK with that. DD struggles in school and that is OK too.

Overall, our district scores very high on state tests and has won a lot of awards but our district has a large population so while there are a lot at the top, I know there are lots in the middle and bottom but the size of the district overcomes that (IMO).

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

I put this on here because I am frustrated with the "ranking" system.   The grading system.  Just all the pressure & compitition in general. 

I didn't even realize when I put this up last night, but looking at it this morning in the full post, it almost is disgusting.  Especially since everyone has said the highest ranking.  The only way kids can be at the top is if there are a ton of kids at the middle & bottom.  No one wants their child to be average or in the bottom.   It makes me wonder what we are doing to those kids who are there. 

Quoting thebailiffs:

Nope and it really doesn't matter to me.  I have a 1st grader.  

It really would be sad if this is how we judge our kids. They are all so unique and have so much to offer and to "rank" them is sad. 

And I am a teacher... now grant it, I am lucky to teach kids who have disabilites but they are all our kids and unique. I can't even imagine how this scoring system was set up. Everyone learns so differently and what they bring to the "test" is so different.  

I was once given a test and asked what the pointy thing was on top of a church. I was not able to answer that since I have Zero experience with a church. I am so sure this is how some kids react when they don't know the answer to questions they don't know. 

Just my two cents... 

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Dd is in Kinder so no state test for her yet
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM
He does really well on state tests. He is very bright but does the bare minimum
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one confused by this post! So many people have replied that I am surprised that only you and I have commented that there is no national ranking.

I didn't vote either. I agree with what you'd vote for, in addition to it being impossible to vote on a ranking that doesn't exist.

I'm thinking that most of these people don't realize that the percentages listed on their child's test scores aren't national and in a lot of cases don't mean anything really.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

LMAO  57% of people have kids in the top 3%.  Awesome.  While I would expect it to be slightly higher than 3% due to the effect of people on these sights typically having higher education levels and such, that is a shocking percent to be that high.  (Of course, not many people have weighed in yet.)

DD is in 1st, so she does not take standardized tests yet.  I do know that on a preschool language evalutation, she scored very high, 99th percentile in the one that is normed, age 19-24 on the one that was age scaled. 

As for how tests are normed, state tests for NCLB are normed by state.  Other tests (ITBS, ERB, NWEA Map) are nationally normed and are given at many schools, especially for gifted testing or special ed testing.

ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I don't think there is any "official" national test but there are a number of tests that are taken at schools throughout the country.   As for the state test, from what I have come to understand there are formulated methods of comparing them.  It seems to be big business to compare tests and compile rankings.

Many of the tests done in our school district have a report which states what my chid got, what the average child in her grade (or age) at her school got, what the average child in her grade (or age) in her district got, and so on with state and national scores.   They usually have percentages as well as exact numbers. 

There are educators and mathmaticians much smarter than I who compare the tests.  If I attempted to compare results it would be apples to oranges.  Or more likely apples to pizza as I am sure I would miss the mark.   LOL.  

Quoting Barabell:

I didn't think there was NATIONAL testing. I thought every state was different. I have seen where my son ranks in terms of STATE testing, but I have never received any paperwork about national testing.

I do know that when you compare quality of education in the different states, our state ranks among the highest.

There is such a disparity in education from state to state that me saying what my son's state percentile is wouldn't be comparable to the majority of people in this group. Comparing percentiles on state tests from different states is like comparing apples to oranges to bananas.

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)