Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Poll

Question: Do you know where you child ranks nationally on standardized testing? (Average)

Options:

97%-99%

90%-96%

85%-89%

80%-84%

70%-79%

55%-69%

40%-54%

39% or less

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

So in a couple of other threads ranking, labeling, test scores, and grades have come up.    THis is a hot-button topic for many and it seems that alot of us are on very different pages when it comes to these ratings, why we have them, and what they mean.  So I am curious.  Where does everyone stand?  

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
Momforhealth
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Yes one of mine walks in the door and crashes. mine has severe dyslexia..even though he has extra time, the stress of having to ask for a repeat reading and how slowly he reads is hard on mine too. :/

Quoting matofour:

She gets both.

But, reading the test itself is a killer. She's spent by then. The words are too small, too close together.

Quoting Momforhealth:

You know, you could get extra time and have someone read the questions to her. Have you asked for it in a 504 meeting?

Quoting matofour:

I do. But only because the school tells us.

I don't care where they stand, as it has no bearings on my child.

One is above, one is below.

My one that's below, is dyslexic. If someone read the test to her she would score way above. But, she reads extremely slowly, and missing words sometimes. So, it affects her greatly in an instance like a standardized test.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't care what my child's national rank is. I know how well shes doing. I hate all the testing students have forced down their throats, especially my special needs students. :(
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:44 AM

The education varies highly depending on where you live from county to county. Not just state to state.

Quoting Barabell:

I didn't think there was NATIONAL testing. I thought every state was different. I have seen where my son ranks in terms of STATE testing, but I have never received any paperwork about national testing.

I do know that when you compare quality of education in the different states, our state ranks among the highest.

There is such a disparity in education from state to state that me saying what my son's state percentile is wouldn't be comparable to the majority of people in this group. Comparing percentiles on state tests from different states is like comparing apples to oranges to bananas.

wedding countdown

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I don't know where my daughter scores. There is no state testing until 3rd grade, and that's just fine with me. Her school as in the top 10% of the state last year, so they received bonus money from the state. They used the funds to decrease the tuition for all day kindergarten by 50%.
SaraBethKY
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM

There was a standardized test that the school I worked at used the year before I got there and it was completely off with the comparable scores. It compared the work the students did to national averages for other grades. According to it some of our 4th graders were scoring in the7th grade range and other things like that for the other grades...We have some smart kids, but seriously...none of them would be scoring that high. Something about this test was just way off and the data was definitely skewed. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Quoting matofour:

My one that's below, is dyslexic. If someone read the test to her she would score way above. But, she reads extremely slowly, and missing words sometimes. So, it affects her greatly in an instance like a standardized test.

Her IEP doesn't allow for extra time?

And she could have someone read the test to her in some states. In some she would have to reading portion her self. But someone could read math and any other subjects to her.  

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids aren't old enough for this yet. But I will interested to see how they compare to other kids their age. 

Standardized testing is the only way to compare curriculums and teaching methods from place to place. I use my students' test scores to plan curriculum and make teaching decisions. I look at other schools in the district with higher student achievement and see what they are doing differently so I can improve what my team is doing with our own students. (No we don't teach to the test. The only complaint I've gotten in the last couple of years is that I don't do enough test prep.)Without standardized tests there is no way to compare the learning of groups of students in different places. I know it's not a popular opinion, but standardized tests are necessary. 

I don't think they are valuable in assessing an individual student's learning. There are too many factors that can come into play that could skew the scores. But when looking at a group, the scores reflect the learning that's taken place. 

matofour
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM
She gets all that. We have a really good Iep for her. And amazing teachers to help her out.
But...she had to read the test part herself. Kills her every time.
I actually am putting a call in Monday to ask about if they have large print tests. Silly, I know. But, it really helps her.
I dread NJ ASK week for her, she spends all day in testing! She comes home just spent, and crabby!!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting matofour:

And she could have someone read the test to her in some states. In some she would have to reading portion her self. But someone could read math and any other subjects to her.  

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM

They should be able to get large print tests. But they might not be able to with this late notice. We have to request special accommodations earlier in the year to make sure there's time to prepare them. Also, if you are requesting her state test be large print the school will need to provide all her tests in large print. Accommodations given for testing must be given all the time. 

Even if it's too late for this year you could get it set up for the future. 

Quoting matofour:

She gets all that. We have a really good Iep for her. And amazing teachers to help her out.
But...she had to read the test part herself. Kills her every time.
I actually am putting a call in Monday to ask about if they have large print tests. Silly, I know. But, it really helps her.
I dread NJ ASK week for her, she spends all day in testing! She comes home just spent, and crabby!!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting matofour:

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM
I dont know where they rank nationally but i do know how they rank to their class which is all that matters to me. I dont need to know how they rank nationally as all schools r different as well as every child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN