Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Do you know where you child ranks nationally on standardized testing? (Average)

Options:

97%-99%

90%-96%

85%-89%

80%-84%

70%-79%

55%-69%

40%-54%

39% or less

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

So in a couple of other threads ranking, labeling, test scores, and grades have come up.    THis is a hot-button topic for many and it seems that alot of us are on very different pages when it comes to these ratings, why we have them, and what they mean.  So I am curious.  Where does everyone stand?  

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Replies (61-67):
ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Darn.   Here I was all excited someone was able to admit their kid is not on top.  

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Verrine:

Half the poll answers are saying 97-99%. Something is fishy about that.

I was thinking the same thing. Half the kids shouldn't be in the top 2%. 

And I voted for the lowest option just to skew the results.  LMAO  No, really I did and that shouldn't surprise you in the least.

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Wait.  Free college tuition??   Did I read that right?  Is that a new change or just your state? 

I know after I took my ACT I got all kinds of acceptance letters but not financial aid.  :(    Granted that was 12 years ago.  I keep hearing that they are gonna do something to help the kids with potential and low-income students.  But I have not actually heard of any successful programs.  

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Not mine. He's smart and does very well in school (Honor Roll and yes, 90th percentile on state scores) but he's not gifted and I am OK with that.  

This is the same with my son who is in high school now.  He's bright but not gifted; I don't particularly want him to be gifted.  I don't know what his actual ranking is but he scores in advanced on the MCAS.  I don't care a lot about standardized tests although if he aces the 10th grade one he'll get free tuition to  a state college which would be helpful.  My daughter is in first so has not had the state test yet which (at least for now) starts in 3rd grade.  She reads above grade level and is on grade level for math.

Jen
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll admit that. He does well, but not in the top 90th percentile in our state. I don't remember where he ranked, to be honest.

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

Darn.   Here I was all excited someone was able to admit their kid is not on top.  

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Verrine:

Half the poll answers are saying 97-99%. Something is fishy about that.

I was thinking the same thing. Half the kids shouldn't be in the top 2%. 

And I voted for the lowest option just to skew the results.  LMAO  No, really I did and that shouldn't surprise you in the least.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I only know it with connection to the MCAS which is only in Massachusetts; I don't know if other states do it with their state tests.  The top 25% scorers are eligible for 4 years free state college tuition.  It only covers the actual tuition but I figure every bit helps, right?  There were some complaints its not fair to kids living in cities like Lawrence and Lynn (largely low income) because wealthier kids get more advantages; governor said it wouldn't matter because wealthier kids shun public higher education and want only private schools.  Compared to many living in these cities, we'd be considered wealthier but we're pretty solid middle class.  When it comes time for college, we will need all the help we can get.

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

Wait.  Free college tuition??   Did I read that right?  Is that a new change or just your state? 

I know after I took my ACT I got all kinds of acceptance letters but not financial aid.  :(    Granted that was 12 years ago.  I keep hearing that they are gonna do something to help the kids with potential and low-income students.  But I have not actually heard of any successful programs.  

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Not mine. He's smart and does very well in school (Honor Roll and yes, 90th percentile on state scores) but he's not gifted and I am OK with that.  

This is the same with my son who is in high school now.  He's bright but not gifted; I don't particularly want him to be gifted.  I don't know what his actual ranking is but he scores in advanced on the MCAS.  I don't care a lot about standardized tests although if he aces the 10th grade one he'll get free tuition to  a state college which would be helpful.  My daughter is in first so has not had the state test yet which (at least for now) starts in 3rd grade.  She reads above grade level and is on grade level for math.

ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM

That is very awesome!  I hope you get to take full advantage of it!  :)

Quoting disneymom2two:

I only know it with connection to the MCAS which is only in Massachusetts; I don't know if other states do it with their state tests.  The top 25% scorers are eligible for 4 years free state college tuition.  It only covers the actual tuition but I figure every bit helps, right?  There were some complaints its not fair to kids living in cities like Lawrence and Lynn (largely low income) because wealthier kids get more advantages; governor said it wouldn't matter because wealthier kids shun public higher education and want only private schools.  Compared to many living in these cities, we'd be considered wealthier but we're pretty solid middle class.  When it comes time for college, we will need all the help we can get.

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Jen
calsmom62
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Lol. Cafemom is in lake wobegone .I asked our school district office when we first moved here if they had a gifted program. The woman said no, all of our children are advanced and curriculum meets their needs. Ummmmm. Ok.....

Quoting coolmommy2x:

This is CM where EVERY mom's kid is in the gifted program, has a higher than genius IQ and should be skipping grades.

Not mine. He's smart and does very well in school (Honor Roll and yes, 90th percentile on state scores) but he's not gifted and I am OK with that. DD struggles in school and that is OK too.

Overall, our district scores very high on state tests and has won a lot of awards but our district has a large population so while there are a lot at the top, I know there are lots in the middle and bottom but the size of the district overcomes that (IMO).

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

I put this on here because I am frustrated with the "ranking" system.   The grading system.  Just all the pressure & compitition in general. 

I didn't even realize when I put this up last night, but looking at it this morning in the full post, it almost is disgusting.  Especially since everyone has said the highest ranking.  The only way kids can be at the top is if there are a ton of kids at the middle & bottom.  No one wants their child to be average or in the bottom.   It makes me wonder what we are doing to those kids who are there. 

Quoting thebailiffs:

Nope and it really doesn't matter to me.  I have a 1st grader.  

It really would be sad if this is how we judge our kids. They are all so unique and have so much to offer and to "rank" them is sad. 

And I am a teacher... now grant it, I am lucky to teach kids who have disabilites but they are all our kids and unique. I can't even imagine how this scoring system was set up. Everyone learns so differently and what they bring to the "test" is so different.  

I was once given a test and asked what the pointy thing was on top of a church. I was not able to answer that since I have Zero experience with a church. I am so sure this is how some kids react when they don't know the answer to questions they don't know. 

Just my two cents... 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM
The tuition waiver is great for MCAS , Two more kids to get through that test lol....

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)