Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Borrowing iPads from school?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Max
  • 34 Replies

Is your elementary school student allowed to bring an iPad home for practice? 

As far as you know are any students at your child's school given an iPad to bring home?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM

No and no. Now my junior high student is supposed to, but she just uses her IPOD instead, because its easier for her to store.

MsRkg
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Yes most of the kids in my sons school has an iPad or access to one. In the event that they don't, the school does loan them out free of cost to the student for the year, provided that it does not come back damaged. They are integrating a lot of their school work and homework with technology, so it's necessary to have one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM
We've never been give an ipad. No idea if they've given any out.
JeremysMom
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM
At the school I am at only teachers have iPads. We do have two carts with iPods that the teacher can checkout for classroom use but the students can not check them out and take them home. Same thing for my son's school.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM

No and no.  The ipads are used in school only and are not ever loaned out.

-BellaMorte-
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

We are not that advanced. lol  Our school does not have/use ipads.

BKozICan
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Special education students sometimes have iPads that go home with them. There are a lot of apps for helping with communication when traditional communication isn't working. Older son uses the computers and iPads at school.

RMC007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:35 PM

The school I work at does not have iPads for students to use in class, but I am sure they are coming as several of the newer schools do. The school does have laptops that teachers can use for in-class activities and there are computers in every classroom along with a computer lab. The middle and high school will issue laptops to any student that wishes to have a laptop for home use. The parent has to  sign a waiver that states the parent takes full responsibility for the laptop and in the event the laptop is lost, stolen, or returned broken that the parent will pay up to a certain amount to replace the laptop or the student will not receive his/her report card or transcripts or graduate until the the fee is paid.

We had one teacher buy an iPad for her classroom, and it was stolen by a student.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM
We don't have iPads for the kids to use at school. Based on what I see, I would say most homes here have at least one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamianne
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I don't know if our school has iPads.  If they do, they don't use them in the lower grades.  Though this year all the classrooms got brand new laptops and smartboards.  I have had teachers ask which iPad learning apps we use/like so they can recommend them to other parents who ask.

I got the impression when speaking with the special ed teacher during my son's IEP meeting the other week that she uses an iPad occasionally with some of her students.  So there may be a few in use, but not for students to bring home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)