Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Tourette's in the classroom?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Max
  • 33 Replies

Poll

Question: Should a child who constantly curses due to Tourette's be allowed in a regular class?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

How would you feel about another student in your young child's class constantly cursing uncontrollably due to Tourette's Syndrome? 

Would you explain to your child that the classmates can't control it and expect them to have empathy for the child and at the same time understand the words they are hearing are not OK to use. 

Or 

Would you expect the child to be removed from the classroom because the other students shouldn't be exposed to inappropriate language throughout the school day. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-BellaMorte-
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a tough one.  I feel that my child could empathize with the child and also understand that those are not okay words for her to use.  My concern would be more towards class disruption. If this child is having outbursts that disrupts the learning of others than i would question them being in that class environment but then where would the child go?  They deserve the same education.  Such a hard question to answer.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Quoting -BellaMorte-:

That's a tough one.  I feel that my child could empathize with the child and also understand that those are not okay words for her to use.  My concern would be more towards class disruption. If this child is having outbursts that disrupts the learning of others than i would question them being in that class environment but then where would the child go?  They deserve the same education.  Such a hard question to answer.

I'm torn myself. It's a tough one. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a difficult situation all around.  I honestly have no problem with what the child is yelling out, cuss words or not.  Teaching your children empathy toward the child and explaining that they shouldn't repeat the words is a fairly easy fix.  

Like others though, the disruption that the outbursts cause is much more difficult to control for everyone involved.

1boy1girlmama
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I would explain it my child to have empathy and know not to say those words and that the child can't helpt it. If the child has no other cognitive delays they should not be denied a normal education.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM
I voted the infamous other.

If the child is not disruptive, then I think it's fine to be there and I would explain to my kids what TS is and make sure they are empathetic and don't repeat what the child is saying. Both kids have had a girl with Downs in their classes so I don't think this would be difficult for them to accept this too.

If the child is too disruptive to where the other kids can't learn I think the child should be removed. I would hope the child could be returned to the classroom at some point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I would NOT be ok with constant disruptions, curse words or otherwise.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM

That is a tough one.  I agree with the posters above.  I would teach my children about Tourette's and explain that the child cannot help it but they are not to repeat the words they hear.  I guess it would really depend on how often/disruptive the outbursts are.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

That's where I am too.  It isn't the words that bother me at all, but the disruption to the class.  It is very easy to explain Tourette's to your child and to not repeat what the other child says.  It is very difficult to get children, or anyone for that matter, to ignore constant disruptions and that has a serious impact on the education of all of the children and that isn't ok.

Quoting mjande4:

I would NOT be ok with constant disruptions, curse words or otherwise.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM

This is how I feel

Quoting steelcrazy:

This is a difficult situation all around.  I honestly have no problem with what the child is yelling out, cuss words or not.  Teaching your children empathy toward the child and explaining that they shouldn't repeat the words is a fairly easy fix.  

Like others though, the disruption that the outbursts cause is much more difficult to control for everyone involved.

family in the van   Mom of four

corrinacs
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I'm with you on this one.  One the one hand, I agree that his child deserves as much of an education as my child does.....but if it does cause a major disruption then no one is learning....it doesn't make sense to keep them there.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I voted the infamous other.

If the child is not disruptive, then I think it's fine to be there and I would explain to my kids what TS is and make sure they are empathetic and don't repeat what the child is saying. Both kids have had a girl with Downs in their classes so I don't think this would be difficult for them to accept this too.

If the child is too disruptive to where the other kids can't learn I think the child should be removed. I would hope the child could be returned to the classroom at some point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN