Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

sometimes i wounder

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 18 Replies

my dd is 5 years old she is in s\k and all the suff she needs to know for grade one is unbeleavable. hear is an eg she needs to know all her voules she needs to be reading a t a levale 5 has to beable to write out sentences exc ect. when i went to school we just started to learn all this in grade 1 and 2 now its like wow a kid cant be a kid in j\k and s/k they have to know alot more compared to what i had to know when i was there age. i dont know how other schools are but my dd gose to holy cross and thats what they need to know and understandconfused

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM

What is s/k & j/k?

LilliesValley
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Wow, I'm sorry I'm really struggling with your spelling and stuff here. But I won't correct, however you may get bashed and I'm struggling to not correct some of it.

But dd is in kindergarten and the standards are much higher than when we went to school. Technically dd is doing some algebra, technically. It's good standards are higher. They are going stuff in kindergarten that we did in first and second grade. Dd is in catholic school too and they push really hard. It's amazing to think how much she's learned in such a short time. It's just going to make them more competitive in a global economy. They still have recession and centers time. Dd and I practice counting by fives and twos to one hundred every morning along with rhyming. If we don't she complains. It's fun and learning which is the key.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I'm really struggling with your spelling there momma..

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM

So...when should they be expected to start doing this stuff,if we were to do things your way and just let them be kids in kindergarten?They'd never learn that way.My daughter is in kindergarten and they were doing sentences and vowels in pre-k last year.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I agree with others.  Your spelling/typing ability makes it hard to understand.  Kindergarten is now the considered what most of us were doing in 1st grade or Grade 1 as non US countries call it.   DD thrived on the fast pace and "advanced" material.  She is in 1st grade now and loves it all except for writing journals.  Anything to do with writing she hates.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I think that most kids now attend preschool or pre-k, so they already know their colors, numbers, letters, and shapes prior to starting kindergarten.  So why not teach them more advanced material, instead of having them bored going over things that they already know?

My boys were reading, doing addition and subtraction, spelling and more in kindergarten.  I don't compare when I went to school with now because a lot has changed in the world since the 1970's.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM

My son's school is faster paced than what I experienced in elementary and junior high. Since my son is challenged and can handle it, I think it's a good thing.

Is j/k meaning like junior kindergarten and s/k meaning like senior kindergarten? I've never heard of that before. They don't have that in my son's school district.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Bump

PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Yeah, I know. I said the same thing when my daughter was in kindergarten. When I was in school, we didn't start reading until 2nd grade.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Wow!  I feel like I'm old (40's) and back when I was in school we learned to read in first grade.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Yeah, I know. I said the same thing when my daughter was in kindergarten. When I was in school, we didn't start reading until 2nd grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN