Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

The difference between an IEP and 504?

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel like this is such a silly question, but here goes: What's the difference between a 504 Plan and an IEP?  I'm just learning about IEPs since we just had my son evaluated in January and his IEP went into effect last week.  I keep seeing people mention 504 Plans and haven't heard of them.  I'm curious as to what exactly they are and how they differ from an IEP.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Quoting ZsMommy:

IEP's have to be followed...504's are more like "suggestions" and do not have to be followed by educators.

I don't know who told you that but 504 plans must be followed just like IEPs. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Thanks, I have a better undstanding now!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

504 plans are to provide accommodations for students with various disabilities or medical conditions. They are similar to IEPs and can provide many of the same accommodations an IEP would. 

The main difference is students with 504 plans don't generally recieve ESE services. For example a student with 504 plan wouldn't go to a resource class for instruction or work with the speech pathologist at the school. But a student with a 504 could have extra time to finish work or be allowed to do work in a quiet setting.

The process for qualifying for a 504 plan is usually much faster than the IEP process. But students with 504 usually have known or formally diagnosed conditions that have been documented. In order for a student to qualify for an IEP more time is needed because the student's needs are being evaluated during the process.   

family in the van   Mom of four

ZsMommy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting ZsMommy:

IEP's have to be followed...504's are more like "suggestions" and do not have to be followed by educators.

Unfortunately...That info came from a Spec Ed teacher-told me that if a child is in an intergrated classroom-a reg ed teacher isn't held to the same strict rules of following what is in place as they are with an IEP.  Sorry to tell you-but unfortunately state to state...district to district rules concerning 504's do vary :(

(we have an IEP)

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting ZsMommy:

Unfortunately...That info came from a Spec Ed teacher-told me that if a child is in an intergrated classroom-a reg ed teacher isn't held to the same strict rules of following what is in place as they are with an IEP.  Sorry to tell you-but unfortunately state to state...district to district rules concerning 504's do vary :(

(we have an IEP)

504s are federally mandated. That's a very ill informed teacher. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Wasn't this part of your teacher education program or staff development work?

Quoting soymujer:

Thanks, I have a better undstanding now!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

504 plans are to provide accommodations for students with various disabilities or medical conditions. They are similar to IEPs and can provide many of the same accommodations an IEP would. 

The main difference is students with 504 plans don't generally recieve ESE services. For example a student with 504 plan wouldn't go to a resource class for instruction or work with the speech pathologist at the school. But a student with a 504 could have extra time to finish work or be allowed to do work in a quiet setting.

The process for qualifying for a 504 plan is usually much faster than the IEP process. But students with 504 usually have known or formally diagnosed conditions that have been documented. In order for a student to qualify for an IEP more time is needed because the student's needs are being evaluated during the process.   

MsLogansMommy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

this is the same info I have been told by several different people. everyone says go for the IEP if possible because it is enforceable. i think what might be happening is that they probably are both enforceable (lack of a better word) but maybe the way to have an IEP remedied is easier than the process to have a 504 fixed. That would explain all the misinformation. The one website that I listed in an earlier post says one of the differences between them is reporting noncompliance with IEP you request due process to the State's Dept of Ed, with a 504 you would report noncompliance and request a hearing with the Office of Civil Rights

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting ZsMommy:

(we have an IEP)

504s are federally mandated. That's a very ill informed teacher. 

MsLogansMommy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

oh and IEP's have very specific timelines and 504 do not have timelines at all

GagaNTattooS
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Best answer ever. Thank you

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM
This is a great explanation

My daughter has JRA and has a 504 plan mostly centering around PE

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I have been told that both have to be followed, but i have had people from random psychologist to even people at the schools tell me that getting a 504 carried out can be more difficult than an IEP. 

My son, has Asperger's and an IEP. Which I had to FIGHT to get for him over the 504. However, with it he got resource, triple time, location changes, word processor for written etc..... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN