Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

As Seen on TV

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 13 Replies

At the request of their mothers, I got my 5 year old niece a Slushy maker for Christmas and am getting my other niece Stompeez slippers for her 3rd birthday.

Do you think that maybe if your child is asking for "As Seen on TV" that maybe you should do something else besides have them watch tv?

Sigh. I'll probably get her a book, too, although I can't make her parents read to her.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

No since at this age especialy any toy they see whether it be on tv or in stores, they want it usually.  DD has recieved 2 pillow pets (one is a mini), a happy napper and something else that i cant remember.  My niece does not get read to either so when i went out for a summer trip reading at night was a lot of fun for her.  She and dd are in 1st grade so i would have them read to me instead to help with their fluency.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this
If a kid sees something it is possible for them to want it after seeing it just once. Just because they ask for something "as seen on tv" doesn't mean they watch too much tv. That may be the case for these kids but it's not an automatic assumption every time a kid asks for as seen on tv items.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Some stores have an As Seen on TV section so if kids don't see the commercials, they still know the products. DD loves her Stompeez...nothing wrong with slippers as a gift.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

My sons don't watch much tv at all, but they still know about at least some of the as seen on tv products.  Plus, they can see them in the store, too.

SaraBethKY
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Many of the package even have the yellow and red "As Seen on TV" logo on them in the stores. Bed Bath and Beyond has a whole ASOTV section (at least a few I have been in do) 

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM
My son first saw the Slushy Magic at a gas station. He asked for it then and everytime we went into said gas station.
aj23
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM
My son doesn't watch much tv but hes asked for Stompeez. They have a huge display at Walmart and places like Walgreens and CVS carry them. Its really easy to know as seen on tv products without ever seeing them on tv.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonesMama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

With ds, all it takes is seeing one tv commercial for a product and he wants it. He was thrilled when I surprised him with a Gyro Bowl one day. I'd found it at Target for $4.98 so I figured why not. But just because they want something they see on tv, doesn't mean they're always watching.

JaronDMC
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM
We don't have cable but when we visit family my son starts asking for as seen on tv stuff, even though he has only seen it that one day. But when I asked my niece what she wanted for x-mas she said "I don't know let me watch tv first" :) (I got her stompeez)
corrinacs
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM

LOL.  Naw, I mean those commercials are everywhere and thier friends get them and could balk about them there too.  My son keeps talking about some "As seen on TV" stuff and he hardly watches TV LOL.  I don't know where he gets this stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)