Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ADHD

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM
  • 34 Replies
Do any of your children have ADHD. My ds has not been diagnosed but I know he has it. Both my brothers hand I did so I know the signs. He is 5 btw. His teacher sent home a letter the other day letting me know that they want to hold him back in kindergarten. He has been having trouble so I'm actually OK with that. If he don't know the
essentials he will have more trouble in future.

My question is I took him to his pediatrician over his issues and she said that he was too young to diagnose. Also she doesn't like putting any child on meds. Are your children on meds? And what age were they diagnosed?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried the home remedies for it?  a cup of coffee, glass of mountain dew,  cut out red dyes etc?  Maybe talk to a child psychologist about coping techniques and focus techniques rather than medication.  I have an ex who was not diagnosed until 12th grade . He self medicated with Jolt soda to help with focus.

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Jolt soda is worse than any medicine that is given for ADHD. Thank goodness it is off the market!

OP, my son was diagnosed at almost 5. His is pretty severe though. We tried several things and ultimately we decided to try medicine. Once we found the right medicine, it was like a switch had been turned on and our son was our son again! He was happy, his focus was better, and he was able to catch up in his academics. I strongly suggest taking him to a psychologist for testing and behavior management skills and a psychiatrist for medicine if you do go that route.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have you tried the home remedies for it?  a cup of coffee, glass of mountain dew,  cut out red dyes etc?  Maybe talk to a child psychologist about coping techniques and focus techniques rather than medication.  I have an ex who was not diagnosed until 12th grade . He self medicated with Jolt soda to help with focus.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Yup I knew it then but who listens to a dumb high school girl.  I was just stating at what lengths non diagnosed people may go to.  Even though i dont use them, I am thankful that there are so many better medications now than back when i was a teen.  My brother was put on ritalin i think and he refused to take it most days.

Quoting JeremysMom:

Jolt soda is worse than any medicine that is given for ADHD. Thank goodness it is off the market!

OP, my son was diagnosed at almost 5. His is pretty severe though. We tried several things and ultimately we decided to try medicine. Once we found the right medicine, it was like a switch had been turned on and our son was our son again! He was happy, his focus was better, and he was able to catch up in his academics. I strongly suggest taking him to a psychologist for testing and behavior management skills and a psychiatrist for medicine if you do go that route.

Quoting frndlyfn:

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Same with my husband. He was on Ritalin for about a year and hated it. I hoping that for our son medication will not be a forever thing but rather a way to help cope with it until he has the abilities to learn how to deal with it on his own.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yup I knew it then but who listens to a dumb high school girl.  I was just stating at what lengths non diagnosed people may go to.  Even though i dont use them, I am thankful that there are so many better medications now than back when i was a teen.  My brother was put on ritalin i think and he refused to take it most days.

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting frndlyfn:

chrissyk3
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM
The Dr told us to stop all sweets. Only natural fruit juice and no soda and junk. I did all that a month ago no results. She said to let him play hard for about an hour before hw so maybe he wouldn't have energy.

Quoting frndlyfn:

chrissyk3
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM
With my insurance I have to have a referral. I am trying to get his Dr to write one.

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting frndlyfn:

chrissyk3
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM
If it happens like he will need meds (which I don't want) would it be OK to only let him take it on school days or would that ruin the effect if it doesn't stay in system. I was on it all the time until I was 15 I think.
luzianagurl
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM

my ds8 was dx at 7, the smallest amt of Focalin(stimulant) each morning is helping with communication issues, learning issues...he's honor roll student now and learning so much, he was student of the month this past month in 2nd grade)...i just wow at how smart he is and could never see it before with all the focus issues he had,being in the hallway at school and always in trouble).not anymore! homework is tough because he is unmedicated after school til the next morning but i can handle that. i figure the smallest amt of meds as possible to help him learn would be the best for him and so far so good. good luck mama, it's hard, they say, to find doctors that will dx prior to age seven but there obviously are some out there that will.

Starleet
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 6 and has it pretty badly but also has behavior problems. Things went so badly that we did try medicine, one was a pill and the other was a patch but they did not work for him. So right now it is just making sure he stays on a routine and not having many things with red dyes.

chrissyk3
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Thank you and glad your son is doing better. His before is my son completely. Do you give on weekends, holiday breaks, and summer?

Quoting luzianagurl:

my ds8 was dx at 7, the smallest amt of Focalin(stimulant) each morning is helping with communication issues, learning issues...he's honor roll student now and learning so much, he was student of the month this past month in 2nd grade)...i just wow at how smart he is and could never see it before with all the focus issues he had,being in the hallway at school and always in trouble).not anymore! homework is tough because he is unmedicated after school til the next morning but i can handle that. i figure the smallest amt of meds as possible to help him learn would be the best for him and so far so good. good luck mama, it's hard, they say, to find doctors that will dx prior to age seven but there obviously are some out there that will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN