Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Vegetables & Kids

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM
  • 34 Replies

My son (6) has pretty much never wanted to eat any vegetables aside from broccoli and I am curious to see if anyone has any kids that are the same way and if so do you have any ways of getting them to eat the vegetables. I got him to start eating broccoli with cheese on it or if I put it with other foods. Every time I cook, I make sure to put the vegetables on his plate even though he tells me no and we have made him take 1-2 bites no matter what. Recently I have been putting much less of the other foods on his plate and told him if he wants more than he has to eat some of the other vegetables but it doesn't work.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Sorry. We don't have this problem because we've made eating vegetables a must since they were babies. We are big veggie eaters here.

Have you tried explaining nutrition to him, telling him why it is so important that he eat his veggies?

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Try hiding them in foods. Check out Jessica Seinfeld's cookbooks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Starleet
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM

He has always been given them since he was a baby but I can only remember a very few times he actually ate them and yes, we have explained to him many of times why it is important. I'm not sure if he thinks that it isn't true or something else. Our daughter eats them with no problem at all and she will tell him how yummy it is and so on, she is 2 this month.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Sorry. We don't have this problem because we've made eating vegetables a must since they were babies. We are big veggie eaters here.

Have you tried explaining nutrition to him, telling him why it is so important that he eat his veggies?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM

We make beef stew and turn it into beef gravy.  The veggies that are in it are carrots,onions, potatos  or we do rutabagas and parsnips for veggies.  I do not like the texture of meat so turning into a gravy helps dd get more veggies as well as me more meat LOL.   We have also put cauliflower mashed right into mashed potatoes.  That was quite yummy.    Have you tried making casseroles?    Many green veggies can be pureed into tomato sauce.

piwife
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM
My 4 yr old is a little picky. My daughter she is almost 6 and eats a lot of different veggies. The weird ones too lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alynn74
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Some kids don't like the taste or texture of cooked vegetables. I had problems getting my kids to eat vegetables until I realized that when I served them raw, they ate evberything on their plate but when I cooked them, they would leave them. Now our vegetables are almost always raw. If I cook any, it is for my husband and I.

KristenFowles
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Cooked veggies don't happen.. But if I offer raw veggies and low fat dressing, they're all for it.. And fine with me as cooked veggies lack most of their nutrition anyway.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Some vegetables need cooking to help break down the fibers so the nutrients are more easily absorbed.  We love most veggies raw here though as in salads or in sandwiches.

Quoting KristenFowles:

Cooked veggies don't happen.. But if I offer raw veggies and low fat dressing, they're all for it.. And fine with me as cooked veggies lack most of their nutrition anyway.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM

We gave ds1 nothing but the veggie on his plate (not a lot of it) and he did not get any other part of the dinner until he ate it. We didn't care how he ate it, as long as he did. Most veggies he just puts butter, salt and pepper on, but french-style green beans and broccoli he puts Worchestershire sauce on- sounds weird, but as long as he eats it. . . We did the same thing w/ ds2 and meat. Yes, there were nights they both chose to go to bed hungry, but they eventually realized we weren't going to give in and started eating the stuff they don't care for.

LADYxGHOST
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM

My kids love veggies. But their cousins hate 'em.

I add veggies into the dish. I add ones that kinda blend in. I also put veggies out and have dips to put them in.  The kids enjoy the dipping and eating the dip but can not double dip and can not get another until they eat the veggie.  Cheese sauce, ranch, peanut butter and whatever other sauce we have like honey mustard or bbq.  They think it is fun and we make it a game.  We try to see who can make and eat the grossest combo (they are boys) and if any one dares to copy.  At first they where not interested and after a few times my kids and I grossed each other out, they where liek they could do grosser than that and off they went. Stomach truning at points but the veggies where all gone and they where all smiles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)