Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

If you had a child starting at a new school on Tuesday....

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM
  • 30 Replies

would you think it was weird if they brought home a birthday invitation on their first day at the new school?

There's a new boy that will be joining ds' 2nd grade class on Tuesday. All the kids are excited, I was at the school last week and about 12 of the students told me. lol. Well, I was planning on bringing ds' birthday invites on Tuesday, and we are inviting the whole class. So of course I don't want to leave out the new boy. But I don't want the family to think it's odd. I figured it would be a great opportunity for the kid to get to know the other kids a bit more, as well as the parents to get to meet some of the other parents if they choose to go. But I don't want them to feel obligated to get a gift for ds, either....

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
disneyrose
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM

No I  dont think it would be weird, welcome to the new school : ) 

pcsainco
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM
4 moms liked this
I think that's fine. If I were the new kid's mom, I would understand that it's a whole-class invite (not something weird) and would look at it as an opportunity for my child to get to know their new classmates (as well as a chance for me to meet new parents!).

I might write a little note in the invite to the new parents to introduce myself & welcome them, too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I agree. It wouldn't be weird and the note to them saying you don't want them bringing anything would be appropriate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

If I were the new kid's mom, I'd be touched that he was included.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

If I were the new kid's mom, I'd be touched that he was included.

I agree.  If I were that mom, I'd also just spend ~ $10 on a gift, too. I wouldn't say anything about not bringing a gift unless everyone isn't bringing one.  The new kid doesn't want to be the only one showing up without a present.

I think its super cute that everyone is excited about the new kid! I hope that helps the new kid feel welcomed. :)

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I agree with the previous posters!

(but I don't think the first poster read the whole thing)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
minimo77
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

This exact thing happend when dd was in kindergarten, I heard a new girl was starting, I asked the teacher what her name was, so she came home the first day with an invite with her name on it lol I would think the parents would be happy, or think it was weird, but either way she never came to the party lol

cjsbmom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I think it's a nice gesture, especially if you're inviting the entire class. It'll be a good chance for him to get to know his classmates outside of the classroom environment. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Not weird at all. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Nope especially if you leave them blank and the child just hands them out ot everyone.  I think the new child would be thrilled to be accepted so fast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)