Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your child eat school lunch or sack lunch?

My kids are 13 and 7 and I am thinking of making sack lunches more often for my DS,7.  I know he is a picky eater, but sometimes enjoys the school lunch.  I wish they would stick to the menu so that I could plan to make lunches on the days that he does not like what's being served.  

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Replies (41-50):
got3boyz
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Both, but most usually a sack lunch

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

School. My 5yo is in Pre-K and she gets free lunch (everyone does at that school). My 6yo is in Kinder and she gets school lunch, and this post reminds me that I should probably re-fill her account. I do'nt even know what to make them for a sack lunch besides pb&j, plus I never have time.

thefiregoddess
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

School. Private school with an organic catered menu.

She eats better than most of us do, and I guess they arrange it pretty because she will actually eat veggies there. *gasp*

BKozICan
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

School lunch one day a week. We are using it to teach budgeting and managing accounts ($25 dollars should last eight weeks, eating once a week. Want to eat twice in one week? Need to figure out which week you aren't going to buy at all. If it doesn't last, why?).

Twice now, we have had it teach the lesson that sometimes there are hidden charges ("Would you like two slices of pizza or one?" but never tell the child it costs more--he thought they were just giving him a choice. I called the school out on that one.).

Silvia1011
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I usually pack a lunch daily.  Maybe twice a month DD is allowed to get school lunch.  I feel like I provide better/healthier food than her school lunches.

mag12305cmg
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I started out packing my sons lunch because I was concerned that he wouldn't eat what the school was offering. The teacher informed me that he was really interested in what the other children were having and did not want to eat what I was packing so he eats school lunch now.

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Every month or so there will be something they really want at the school, so they can get school lunch, but on the large majority of days they bring a lunch. Its cheaper that way and I can make sure that they are getting a healthy meal. They make their own lunches, but I approve them. 

zinniadaisy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM

We put $$ in her school acct so she can buy her lunch once a week, the other days she brings her lunch - she picks out what day she's going to buy her lunch from the menu calendar and she's only allowed to buy the hot lunch plate - no a la carte stuff, that gets expensive....she likes the compromise and the choice she has of picking which lunches she wants to buy

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

My kids buy once a week and make their lunch the rest.

Beth3721
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Sack lunch every day.  No choice, they don't have a kitchen big enough or the resources to make hot lunch everyday.  Most Fridays I have the option of signing her up for hot lunch.  It's a project for the older kids and they make it in their kitchenette

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)