Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In the restroom (yes I'm going there)

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
  • 56 Replies

When you need to use the restroom, do your SCHOOL AGED children have to be in there with you?  Why/why not?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

It really depends on where we are. In a store or restaurant, ds2 (9) stays right outside the door. If it's something like where we were yesterday (Boat, Sport and Travel show), I have him come in, but stay by the sinks; that sort of event is just more chaotic and has most distractions. Dd (7) always comes in w/ me simply b/c I usually want her to try since I'm already in there. If she doesn't have to go, she waits by the sinks.

Since ds1 is almost 14, he's stayed outside for a few yrs. I usually have ds2 and dd stay w/ him since it's rare that I'm out w/ just the younger 2.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM
No, I have them wait outside the door or continue shopping with their father. Or usually they have to go as well and go to the men's restroom.

They haven't been in the same bathroom as me since they were five. Unless it was the family restroom at a water park.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
a06z08mama
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM
At home. They come barging in anyways. DD is 6 she will be 7 In june. Ds will be 5 next Month. So in stores they don't have to be in the stall but at least in the bathroom. I'm a single mom so there isn't anybody else with us to stand out and wait with them. Another year then I will feel comfortable leaving out by themselves
huskermom98
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Most of the places where and when this would be an issue...yes, my boys (7&5) would go with me into the restroom, but not into the stall with me--I would have then stand where I could see their feet (if they didn't need to go themselves in their own stall).  I'm not paranoid about kidnapping/molestation, but I just like to keep them with me because I worry about them being naughty!  If it's a restroom without stalls then I would most likelyl still take both of them in with me---we only have one bathroom at home so it's not like I haven't had to pee in front of them before like during their baths...

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

No, I have my boys (12 and 7) wait right outside of the bathroom. My daughter (9) often comes with me because she'll usually go. My boys go into the mens' room together, too, and I make sure they stick together. It was more complicated when they were younger and I had to drag everyone in with me- glad those days are past!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

calsmom62
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
No, although at sporting events or other large crowds if we aren't already at our seats ill have them wait for me nearby.
mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

No, my boys (10 and 7) wait outside for me. Sometimes if my dd is along they'll wait with her, she's 19.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

My youngest is DD who is 9yo. The boys are 12 and 15.

I can't recall the last time I had one of the boys go into the ladies room to wait... OMG ... Probably around age 8?and that would have had to be at something like the County Fair where it's REALLY CRAZY out.

DD comes into the bathroom with me even if she doen't haveto go, but I don't make her come into the stall. Sometimes she stays outside withthe boys.

I NEVER let them barge into the bathroom or pound on the bathroom door as babies or toddlers.  I had baby gates, or put them in a playpen or whatever for the 2-3 min it took to do my business. I could put on a catroon and say, "Mommy will be right back" and they wouldn't move.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Well, I normally have my oldest wait outside the stall and talk to me so I can hear her.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

At home no.....Out and about, I close the stall doir nd make her stand in front of it, so I can still see her feet...I make her talk to me the entire time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)