Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kinder math question

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 31 Replies

so of course there is no school this week, and we got a 2 page note from the teacher telling us to practice the 39 sight words (he knows them by heart) and the simple addition, and that when they come back on the 25th they will start subtraction. only up to 5, and by the end of the year up to 10, just like they have been doing with addition. 

so my question is.....anyone else? i didn't go to kindergarten in the United States and nobody else that i know remembers doing anything else but coloring and learning shapes and numbers. 

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM
I homeschool my 5 year old. Let me see what was in his kindergarten math book...
Numbers
shapes
Place value to 10s place
place value to hundreds place
basic addition answers under 10
Counting to 20
Counting by 2s
Adding 10s
Counting by 10s
Adding hundreds
solving for the unknown in addition problems
Counting by 5s
Tally marks
Time
Subtraction
In that order.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
andrea96
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

My son is in kindergarten, and he started subtraction up to 10 before Christmas. Kindergarten at our school has changed a lot since my daughter was in kindergarten 4 years ago.

poshkat
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I homeschool my 5 year old. Let me see what was in his kindergarten math book...
Numbers
shapes
Place value to 10s place
Counting to 20
Counting by 2s
Adding 10s
Counting by 10s
Adding hundreds
Counting by 5s
Tally marks
Time
Subtraction
In that order.

Sounds right, except time. They also do current events, history, money values and many other things. I was just wondering.
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Kindergarten is pretty strenuous here my oldest was doin subtraction in k too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM

DD has done addition/subtraction up to 10. They are now working on Time & some other stuff I cant think of at the moment... In 1st grade they will be doing multiplication.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Yeah we do other subjects as well. He is doing math u see which is a mastery program. He's in the 2nd grade book now and will be learning money soon. Right now he is doing smallest to largest and sequencing. Moving to greater than less than soon.
Because it is a mastery program it spends more time focused on each subject. We love it but he wasn't exposed to everything a lot of kids are in the kindergarten book. Thankfully he is so far ahead he's making up for it.
He has a hard time with math books that have pictures so he is doing a different curriculum than his friends.

Quoting poshkat:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Numbers

shapes

Place value to 10s place

Counting to 20

Counting by 2s

Adding 10s

Counting by 10s

Adding hundreds

Counting by 5s

Tally marks

Time

Subtraction

In that order.

Sounds right, except time. They also do current events, history, money values and many other things. I was just wondering.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Oh geeze, it's been awhile since I had a kindergarener.  I know that they did addition, subtraction, telling time, counting money, skip counting, counting to at least 100.

shamroc374
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM
It is the norm now in that kindergarten students are doing what students used to do in at least 1st grade. Many schools are considering students to be behind when they start kindergarten if they do not already know all the letters of the alphabet, how to write them, and are able to indentify the beginning sound of a word and how to write that letter just by hearing the word. Schools now consider what used to be kindergarten work to be the what they learn in pre-k. A majority of students now start kindergarten already knowing how to read the 100 sight words, and repetitive text. It is good that we are finally holding our students to higher standards but it also puts some kids who are not taught these things at home before they start school, or attend a quality pre-k program at a disadvantage.
Madisonsmommy1
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM
I don't home school but this is what my daughter is doing in kindergarten. She's having a hard time. I bought math cubes so hoping she will understand more soon.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Numbers

shapes

Place value to 10s place

Counting to 20

Counting by 2s

Adding 10s

Counting by 10s

Adding hundreds

Counting by 5s

Tally marks

Time

Subtraction

In that order.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that they could do single digit subtaction and addition and even double without carrying.  Also skip counting, geometry, time, and money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)