Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what age do kids stop playing at the playground?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM
  • 62 Replies
I had another post about a problem I had with a friend's child. In this post there seemed to be a lot of you thinking that fourth grade was too old for kids to play at the playground. I mentioNed that my child played with a few other children at the playground for about an hour after school. This is the playground in the schoolyard that the kids play at during recess. Her school goes up to sixth grade and they all have a recess at some point during the day. So at what age do you think kids should stop playing in the playground? I always thought that as long as a child wanted to play at the park or playground that they should be allowed to. Most of the playgrounds around my home have two separate playgrounds 1 for kids under 5 and then 1 for kids 5 and over. They also have other things to do like a walking track,a soccer field, a pond, and frisbee golf, etc. So what do you think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carakitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM
4 moms liked this

Any age is a good age to play! I think I won't care if my DD continues to go out to play as a teenager, even, as long as she's respectful of the posted play ground rules and of the other people. We have a small neighborhood playground and I see the big kids and teenagers using it still on a regular basis. Now, they don't actually climb on the ladders or go down the slides and they're just 'hanging out' but they are there. If they are keeping their language clean and not bullying the other kids I just let them be. I'd rather have teenagers on a play ground then out loitering at shops or making touble in other ways.

calsmom62
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM
This.

Quoting carakitty:

Any age is a good age to play! I think I won't care if my DD continues to go out to play as a teenager, even, as long as she's respectful of the posted play ground rules and of the other people. We have a small neighborhood playground and I see the big kids and teenagers using it still on a regular basis. Now, they don't actually climb on the ladders or go down the slides and they're just 'hanging out' but they are there. If they are keeping their language clean and not bullying the other kids I just let them be. I'd rather have teenagers on a play ground then out loitering at shops or making touble in other ways.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids hang out at the park and play sand volleyball, football, soccer, and basketball.  They don't really play on the playground equipment, per se, but it's there.

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I agree with original poster. I think middle school might be alittle old but thats probably where id draw the line.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaraBethKY
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM

My friends and I would walk to a park by my gramas house in middle school and hang out-mostly on the swings. If there were little kids wanting to play we would just walk around to another part. We just wanted to be outside really, we weren't there to cause any problems. Even in high school I remember having picnics with my friends at the parks in our city. 

calsmom62
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Young teens still like to swing, and of course climb, and just chill. I think the problem can be with perception ....when our children are toddlers, preschoolers seem huge. When our kids are preschoolers early elementary kids seem huge....and then on to early elementary , when 4-6th graders seem intimidating. And imagine all these different stages running, swinging, sliding, etc in one playground area. Playgrounds have room for all, but we all have to respect one another ......
Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Let's see......45.  LOL. I still play with my kids sometimes at the play ground. They love it and I could care less if people give me strange looks.  It is good exercise when you make it into an obstacle course.  Let them see me play, let them think I am weird but as of late I have lost 10 lbs and playing with my kids is fun.

sarahjoy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM

My daughter is half way still 5th grade and still LOVES playing at the park/playground.  She even still plays in the McDonald's play place.  She still just simply enjoys playing and she is always respectful to the younger children... she will even get them all into playing a game of tag or something together.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:01 PM

To answer the question why should a kid be too old to play on a playground. There is climing and swinging and all sorts of activity that is good exercise.  As long as they are respecting others right to play and do not harm the equipment or use that meant for toddlers, let them play.  Get out and play with them. You'd be surprised at what a work out you get.

ETA: It helps that my kids come in fun size and so do I. I am a bit overweight at 134 lbs for my height but there are some preteens that are bigger than I am. LOL

bleumonster
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I think it depends on whether they are boys or girls too. My daughter and nieces thought they were too cool for the playground when they weren't at school by 4th. My son is in 5th and still loves the playground.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN