Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fun book that is factual

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM
  • 10 Replies

You Can't Taste a Pickle With Your Ear: A Book About Your 5 Senses

Book Description

September 1, 2002 4 - 6 years
Seeing, smelling, hearing, touching, tasting is there a child who doesn't wonder how the five senses work? 
Kids curiosity about their bodies is limitless. Using a combination of clear information and gentle humor, Harriet Ziefert introduces children to their five senses. 
Written in playful verse, yet scientifically accurate (the text has been fact-checked by a science educator), and illustrated with fresh art and simple diagrams, young readers will come away from this book with most, if not all, of their questions about the five senses answered.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM

That looks like one my son would like. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM

We had it for a week from our school library for DD to read and write about.  I am trying to find more factual books yet they are fun to read like this one.   DD still tells me not to stick a pickle in my ear LOL.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

That looks like one my son would like. 

MissyB1011
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM
This looks cute. I'll have to check it out for DS.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Thtat's awesome.  I think my son woud love this one too LOL

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM

My boys absolutely love this one

Do Penguins Have Knees?: An Imponderables Book (Imponderables Series)

Overview

Ponder, if you will

What happens to your Social Security number when you die?
Why are peanuts listed as an ingredient in plain M&Ms?
Why is Barbie's hair made out of nylon, but Ken's hair is plastic?
What makes up the ever-mysterious "new-car smell"?

Pop-culture guru David Feldman demystifies these topics and so much more in Do Penguins Have Knees? — the unchallenged source of answers to civilization's most perplexing questions.

Part of the Imponderables® series, Do Penguins Have Knees? arms readers with the knowledge about everyday life that encyclopedias, dictionaries, and almanacs just don't have. And think about it, where else are you going to get to the bottom of how beer was kept cold in the Old West?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Here's another one that is loved at my house.

TIME For Kids Big Book of How

Overview

TIME For Kids The Big Book of How presents kids 8-12 years old with answers to the kinds of intriguing questions that appeal to their sense of curiosity. Colorful graphics, spectacular photos and clear, engaging diagrams will help answer such questions as: How does a chameleon change colors?; How can a person survive in the jungle?; How do you build a teepee?; How do diamonds form?; How do light sticks work?; How are 3-D movies made?; How do astronauts train for a space mission?; How do we get cavities?; How does solar energy work?

Divided by subject area-from animals, the human body and technology to sports, food and green issues-kids will discover the background behind the questions through the book's photos, diagrams and art as well as its clear text. Of course, TIME For Kids goes beyond just answering the question, and engages kids with hands-on activities at the end of each chapter that bring life to a topic or idea they just read about. For example: If in the technology chapter kids learn how an airplanefl ies, the "How to" spread might include step-by-step instructions about how to fold a paper airplane or create a rotating helicopter. TIME For Kids The Big Book of How is a must-have book to satisfy the most curious of kids.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Thanks Steel.  I hope more can share non fiction books for kids but they arent the boring type.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM

If you make learning fun and exciting kids will want to do it.  

We also have a really fun book of science experiments that you can do in your kitchen.  Forget what it is called and  unfortunatly it is in one of the boys bedrooms.  If I remember, I will look for it tomorrow.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Thanks Steel.  I hope more can share non fiction books for kids but they arent the boring type.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Thank you OP and Steel.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Looks like a good one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)