Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School aged kids and public restrooms (a spin off of PP)

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 27 Replies

I loved the poster who asked where your kids wait for you, inside RR or outside the door. So, at what age and what places do you feel ok with sending your son to the RR by himself?  I myself did it for the first time last year , DS was 9 in Macy's and did the call into the opened door as he entered "I am right here waiting for you"!  At bigger places and events, I think I may still have him wait (out of the way) but by the sinks in LR. 

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM
At age 8 or thereabouts, I stopped having ds come in with me in big venues or the rest stops. It was about then he was clearly uncomfortable in the women's bathroom. At rest stops I will stand by the door or talk to him and keep a mental note if what men are going in/out etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maritzalizzette
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM

well my ds is 8 and i still make him go into the ladies rr....unless my husband or one of my older nephews are with us he goes into the boys rr....i should be able to start trusting but i was told by a friend that she had an incident where her 17yr old nephew was taking her 7 yr old to the rr and he saw some guys taking pictures in the rr so every since she told me my son doesnt go unless with my husband is with us.

confused

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I'm still uncomfortable letting my 9yo go by himself. At a theme park, a lady brought her 2 boys in the women's room, clearly teens, and I personally, am fine with it. I had hubby take dd into the men's room to go potty at 3. She was in his arms, and some guy in a wheelchair asked to hold her. Dh politely said no, but the guy reached out to touch dd anyway. Dh had to smack the guys hand away. She was WITH hubby, the guy was disabled, and STILL tried to touch my dd. I try to do family restrooms or have friends older ds's go with mine when I can. Yes, I'm paranoid. I probably wouldn't have been if not for the man wanting to hold dd. It did freak me out.

TroyboysMom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM

DS is 8, and when he's just with me, he goes into the ladies' room with me. I'm not comfortable leaving him outside.

momto3infl
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:59 AM

all my kids by age 7 went to the restroom by themselves, unless at larger venue like state fair, or concerts.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM
I have girls so they will probably always go when I go. Im not sure when they can go on their own. It would be situation specific im sure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Mine are 10 and 12 now, but they have been going in the men's restroom for years.  They just go together.  I have equipped them with the knowledge of how to handle certain situations and feel comfortable that they can handle themselves.  I will also say I have a teen daughter and there were a couple of times when she was 9 or 10 that a mom brought her son into the ladies restroom and my daughter KNEW the kid.  It was seriously uncomfortable for BOTH of them, particularly the boy.  In the one instance, he begged my daughter at school not to tell anyone.  She felt really bad for him.  I think there is a line, and while safety should always be a concern, when the boy/girl is not early elementary, it's too old unless special needs.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:08 AM

My oldest son was late 10, early 11ish (he's 12.5 now). He has autism and I didn't feel comfortable that he could assert himself if someone would try to mess with him until that age. When he started going alone I started sending my youngest son (7) with him and they stick together so that works out well.

My daughter goes with me. She's 9 so she could go alone I'm just not sure it's ever happened. I hate crowds so we aren't in public for long periods of time and rarely use public bathrooms anyway.

progressandjoy
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Wow. I’m seriously surprised at some of the ages. Maybe we’re too relaxed with SS.

SS goes to the RR by himself and he’s five. He’s very independent and absolutely refuses to go into the ladies room. He started asking to go the bathroom, on his own, last year. DH and I will even let him start walking to the bathroom by himself, but then we discreetly trail behind him. I’ll stand outside the bathroom door and keep track of who is coming and going, but SS is usually in and out.

I don’t like using public restrooms, so it’s normally not an issue about where he waits when I go. Honestly, anytime I’ve used a public RR it’s during a long outing (DH is with us and watches SS) or when there’s nobody else around the bathroom (SS stands outside the RR, but props the door with his foot and talks to me).

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I think it was about 9 that I was letting him go in by himself. Now he is 12 and does everything by himself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)