Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are You a Mom of Three or More Kids?

6 Things Not to Say to a Mom With 'Lots' of Kids

Posted by Kristen Chase

6 annoying things people say to big familiesI wish I could say I was surprised at the stupid things people say to parents, but I'm not. Since having my first child almost 9 years ago, I've learned that parenting is something that everyone, even people who don't have kids, have an opinion about.

Whatever happened to "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

The comments I thought were bad when I had one kid are about 400 times worse now that I have four kids. But today, instead of smiling and laughing like I usually do since I usually have my kids with me when I hear this crap, I'm going to share the craziest things people have said to me and what I'd love to tell them. Or where to shove it.

1. You do know where babies come from, right? You know, it's funny you mention that because I was just asking myself the other day "Where do babies come from?" and then my vagina piped up and reminded me of the combined 30 hours of labor and all those stitches.
  2. Wow, you really have your hands full! Are you kidding? This is a spa vacation. See, I actually have about 20 more children at home but I keep them all locked in a closet and rotate out the good ones.
  3. You must have a lot of sex. Well, don't tell anyone, but I actually bought these kids on the black market. But yes, I have sex. A lot. Probably a lot more than you do, especially if you say stupid crap like that all the time. 
  4. You are my hero. Oh gosh, thank you. My vagina is blushing.
  5. I'm so glad I stopped at two kids. If you think it's okay to say something like that in public to a mom, in front of her children, I'm really glad you stopped too.
  6. You must like torture. Wait a second. This is so bizarre. Have you been looking into my bedroom?

Moms of 3 or more kids, what comments drive you crazy?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
JoanahLee
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I have three kids all very close in age (2,2, and 3).  Some of the dumbest shit Ive heard from people:

"Woah, glad it's you and not me!".   Yeah?, Im glad too! 

"OH, looks like you got more than you bargained for" -talking about have twins.  Bargain?  Like a 2 for one sale, cause yeah...twins are much cheaper?

calsmom62
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I have four. But we had two three yrs apart, then 10 yrs later had two more, 3yrs apart. So I also got" Omg what were you thinking???"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
friendlymom5
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM
I always hear are the all yours?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
keeler_s
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM
You're a saint.
Don't you know where babies come from?

How do you do it?

Are they all yours

Btw I also have 4 kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Jen on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I've heard #2 and #5.

I'm cracking up at the stuff she would like to say. I'm not very good at being mean so I usually just say they are worth it.
Precious333
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Expectinf number 4, i heard all of these but 3 and 6. My mil said the first one, along with "you kniw how to use birth control.right?" When we told her we were expecting number 3.....i had dh tell her about numbr 4 to avoid those comments.
Precious333
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Oh yeah, are they alk yours is common, especially since i have two blond blue eyed babies, and one black hair brown eyes babe!
MomTiara19
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I stopped at two.

Yet when I thought about having a third I was surprised at some of the negative reactions like.Isnt two enough,and dont expect another baby shower,and cant you put a cork in it..

It was all in a joking manner from some friends and family but I was a little disheartnened by some people rude remarks.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM

LOL I've gotten some of those comments. I have 3 kids. My sister has 5 kids, so I also get the "so, you need to get busy to keep up with your sister" comments. Uh, yeah, I'd get right on that-- if I had a uterus-- which I no longer do! LOL I go back and forth between just giving some "generic" answer to brush them off or saying what I just wrote and figuring they deserve the bluntness. ;-)

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Precious333:

Oh yeah, are they alk yours is common, especially since i have two blond blue eyed babies, and one black hair brown eyes babe!

That comment cracks me up because Im almost always at the store or mall when I get this one. It just begs for the answer, "No, I rented them... I just can't get enough of taking kids and all of their things (and sometimes their whine and discontent) with me everywhere I go!!!!"

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)