Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are You a Mom of Three or More Kids?

6 Things Not to Say to a Mom With 'Lots' of Kids

Posted by Kristen Chase

6 annoying things people say to big familiesI wish I could say I was surprised at the stupid things people say to parents, but I'm not. Since having my first child almost 9 years ago, I've learned that parenting is something that everyone, even people who don't have kids, have an opinion about.

Whatever happened to "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

The comments I thought were bad when I had one kid are about 400 times worse now that I have four kids. But today, instead of smiling and laughing like I usually do since I usually have my kids with me when I hear this crap, I'm going to share the craziest things people have said to me and what I'd love to tell them. Or where to shove it.

1. You do know where babies come from, right? You know, it's funny you mention that because I was just asking myself the other day "Where do babies come from?" and then my vagina piped up and reminded me of the combined 30 hours of labor and all those stitches.
  2. Wow, you really have your hands full! Are you kidding? This is a spa vacation. See, I actually have about 20 more children at home but I keep them all locked in a closet and rotate out the good ones.
  3. You must have a lot of sex. Well, don't tell anyone, but I actually bought these kids on the black market. But yes, I have sex. A lot. Probably a lot more than you do, especially if you say stupid crap like that all the time. 
  4. You are my hero. Oh gosh, thank you. My vagina is blushing.
  5. I'm so glad I stopped at two kids. If you think it's okay to say something like that in public to a mom, in front of her children, I'm really glad you stopped too.
  6. You must like torture. Wait a second. This is so bizarre. Have you been looking into my bedroom?

Moms of 3 or more kids, what comments drive you crazy?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Replies (41-50):
occumommy
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM
I have 3, and it gets worse, i`m on food stamps. (gasp) both dh and I were working when i got pregnant for #3, then life happened, but i digress, i get comments like, are they all yours? No, i just borrow other peoples kids at random. Or there is the " guess you didnt plan well" thank you for pointing that out for me...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
occumommy
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Oh and i forgot, "i hope you got your tubes tied"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Do you own a deck of cards?

Do you have cable?

Are you on welfare?

GOD BLESS YOU !

Are you like the Duggars?

I think it is wrong to have more than (insert number) children.

Why ?!?!?!?

I have five kids and one foster child. I get comments all the time. 

happylife123
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM

i have heard all those when out with my 3 kiddos

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Haha, me too, 12 mos, 19 days apart. Lol I always got hands full, and many still think they are twins, since they look alike, and are the same height, and close in weight (a few lbs) . I also got the knowing how babies are made. Lol fwiw, hubby and I had sex, ONCE, ON bc. Not that it should matter. I do only have 2. But, for us, I got fixed after the 2nd. Our choice. I live in Utah, many have 4 or more kids, not really a big deal. :)

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I got all of those comments and I only have 2 children but I had them back to back. (12 months apart)

coleslaw1017
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM

The most common one I hear is that I have my hands full. Most of the time it is said by an older person with a huge smile on their face, so that doesn't bother me at all.  I just laugh and say, yeah, but I love it.     I got a whole lot of "You know what causes that right?" when I was pregnant with my 4th.  I got pregnant a whole lot quicker than with the other 3, so there is only about 15 months between our last two.  That one was the most annoying, although that might also have to do with the fact that I was pregnant and highly hormonal at the time. :)

momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Im not sure if this one was already said but, I'm #4 of 5 kids.My mom always got ask "How many kids do you have?" "5" "WOW! All from the same father?"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
got3boyz
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I don't know why but #2 drives me crazy.  Probably because I get it all the time.  And I'm tired of people asking if I'm going to try for a girl.  Like I can't be happy with all boys.  Nope, I'm done.

lorial58
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM

LOL!  Luckily, it's very obvious to anyone with half a brain that I'm either the town slut or my children are adopted.  I HAVE had people ask me which it is too.  But I get the "Oh, you're such a saint for adopting these children."  "They're so lucky to have you.,"  "What a wonderful thing you're doing, I could NEVER take in someone else's child."  Most of the time these things are said right in front of my children.  And then they're left to question if there's some terrible thing wrong with them that this SAINT had to rescue them.  (sigh)  I always, always tell them that THEY (my children) saved me and THEY are the blessing not me.  I just happened to be raised in a family with a LOT of kids so this feels right for me.

my4yahoos
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I hate "Bless your heart" and the hands full comments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)