Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Help with my child

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 11 Replies
My almost 8yr old daughter has been pretty disrespectful lately and getting to be a handful. We are having a hard time disciplining her and at a loss of how to teach her some respect. Any tips or advice? I appreciate it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Take things away and be consistant with it.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

With disrespectful talk, I usually give my boys a chance to say it again in a nicer way.  If they do, I remind them that I don't like it when they talk to me like that and we move on.  If they do not, they lose a privilege.

I'm not sure what form of punishment that you are currently using, but as kids get older we have to adjust our punishment techniques as well.  So if you are still using time outs, I'd try something different, as those begin to lose their effectiveness once a child starts school.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

If my son says something disrespectful, I calmly remind him that he should be more respectful than that and that he will be punished if that behavior continues. If the behavior continues, then I follow through with the punishment that I threatened.

If he is extremely disrespectful, I will tell him that he needs to apologize also.

-BellaMorte-
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM

What have you tried and how has she responded to those previous attempts?

alyssa1
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM
We have tried correcting her as in telling her not to talk like that and we don't talk like that we have taken things away it hasn't changed her act much.she has a mouth on her. Like recently she got her laptop taken away for a week and she argues like I say no laptop and she says yes and then I take it she will be like I don't care. She is almost 8 going on 16 lol
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Quoting alyssa1:

We have tried correcting her as in telling her not to talk like that and we don't talk like that we have taken things away it hasn't changed her act much.she has a mouth on her. Like recently she got her laptop taken away for a week and she argues like I say no laptop and she says yes and then I take it she will be like I don't care. She is almost 8 going on 16 lol

If she says things like "i don't care" then completely ignore her because she is trying to engage you into an unnecessary argument.  She DOES care but she doesn't want you to know that.  I don't play that game so I would keep it for as long as I say I would and then only give it back (after the time I said) when she corrects her attitude towards me.

LilliesValley
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:25 PM
I make dd say things again. If its bad it could be time out up against facing the wall or writing lines. Dd is six.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM

One of the things we do isn't necessarily popular, but it works for us. We do the usual taking things away, sending to their room, or silent timeout (yes, we have one child that still works w/), but if it's really bad, we'll give a light pop on the mouth.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Pick a tactic and stay consistent

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Roll of tape and a closet lol. I have no idea my 7 is about to loose his toungue if he keeps be disrespectful to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN