Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My Son is Asking How babies are born.....

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM
  • 24 Replies

My seven year old first grader, asked me how babies are born. Not where they come from but how they get out of the moms tummy. He knows that C-sections they come out of the tummy area, but I told him when he gets older he can know the other way. How old should he be though, he is my oldest child so I have no idea what an apporoprate age know days it is to tell them how babies are born, i know when he hits puburity is when we will disucss where babies come from but what about this. Has anyone got there yet or know when is good to have this conversation? Please help.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM

If he is old enough to ask the question, then he is old enough to get an honest, age appropriate answer.  I would honestly explain it to him now.  In all honesty, puberty is way too late to discuss where babies come from.  My 9 year old already knows the answer to that question.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM

He is old enough now to learn about the cycle of life.  You keep it age appropriate and the proper names for body parts.  A vaginal birth is nothing to be embarrassed about talking about.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My 6 year old asked me how the baby was going to come out when it is time. We explained it to her. She is know 9 years old and other then sex. She knows about her changing body. I know soon we are going to have to have the sex taught. I just got a book and I am going to read it first before I read it with her. So I can be prepared for any questions and get to the right pages if need be.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Tell him the truth. My daughter has known since she was 3. If he's old enough to ask, he's old enough for the answer.
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM
My 5 year old asked the same thing and I told her the truth. I see no reason for hiding that some babies come out of the vagina, especially since you had no issue telling him about a c section. Of course, I don't agree with waiting for puberty, in regards to sex ed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
midjet117
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I haven't a clue. My girls are also 7 and I know eventually I'm going to have to give them the low down on where babys come from and how they are born. They know bits and pieces but just not enough to put it all together yet

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM

That is about the age I told my kids.  They knew what vaginas and penis were.  So, it wasn't that big a deal.  Not to mention them seeing the uterus and fallopian tubes everytime we went to the doctors office.

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I have always been honest about questions like this.  I give simple, but correct answers.  My son asked me the same thing when he was 4 yrs old.  I told him that girls have a special hole down there called a vagina, and when the baby gets big enough we push it out like a big giant poop.  LOL 

He was 5yrs old when his little sister was born.  He was very upset because I had to have a c-section.  He asked why the doctor had to cut my tummy open, and why I couldn't just push the baby out like a big giant poop like I did with him and his brother.  Hahaha! 

Precious333
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Sort of. I told my oldesr a little, hes vert interested and he has seen a few homebirth videos before. I may have him at our next birth, we will see.
heathercm26
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I would tell him. Kids on farms generally never ask because they have watched many deliveries. They also see animals breeding. They figure out thatyhe penis gets hard and big and goes in the vagina....humping....pregnancy.... delivery....nursing. Kids can actually handle it. Its parents who get squeamish about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)