Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Year round school

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM
  • 47 Replies

We are currently NOT a year round school but i have a feeling they are heading us in that direction.  Is your childs school year round and how do you like it? If it's not how do you like the idea of year round school?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM
No - ours is from mid August to early June...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM
No....we are not headed in that direction a all! Kids need to play and have free time, and family time! (Thats my two cents)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM

My kids aren't, but I went to a year round school until highschool.  I didn't care either way.  In my experience each type of school had its pros and cons.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM

We are not year round, we go from late August until late May/very early June.  I honestly wouldn't mind one way or another.  It isn't like the kids are going to school any more days, their breaks are just spread out over the year instead of being off for 3 months in a row.  In some ways I'd think that you'd enjoy the breaks more if they are 3-4 weeks each break.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Ds1 went to a year-round school before we moved into our current district. I liked it. The kids don't forget as much on the shorter summer break, and it was nice to have a longer break in the fall and spring. Although we never took a vacation on over the longer fall or spring break, the rates can be cheaper, so that's a plus. The one downside was that he always missed Vacation Bible School b/c our church held it shortly after the regular school calendar got out for the summer, while he was still in school.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I like the concept.  Back when i was in school, i had a cousin who was in year round (alabama of all places) and the students seemed to do better over all since the breaks were more broken up than 3 straight months of no school.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Our school used to be year round until a new one opened. We had 8 classes per grade, now we have 6 per grade. We are headed back to year round soon. As a SAHM and kids both in the same school, I love year round. If I worked or when my kids are in different schools, I might not. 

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Year round goes the same amount as traditional schools, so, same amount of time at home. :) just broken up. :)

Quoting Precious333:

No....we are not headed in that direction a all! Kids need to play and have free time, and family time! (Thats my two cents)

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM

That was a reason I loved year round, cheaper vacation times. Plus, we live 1700-1800 miles from our parents, so, mult breaks helped us see them. As far as camps go, I'm in Utah. So many schools are year round, that most camps or summer activities are in July when everyone is off, year round, or traditional. :)

Quoting wakymom:

Ds1 went to a year-round school before we moved into our current district. I liked it. The kids don't forget as much on the shorter summer break, and it was nice to have a longer break in the fall and spring. Although we never took a vacation on over the longer fall or spring break, the rates can be cheaper, so that's a plus. The one downside was that he always missed Vacation Bible School b/c our church held it shortly after the regular school calendar got out for the summer, while he was still in school.

mrjonesii
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Yes my daughters have been in year round for years now. I'm SAHM and I like it. The only thing I wish would happen is they shorten our fall and spring break by 1 week each so we can get out for the summer 2 weeks earlier. Other than that I have no complaints.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)