Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This play date means breaking a law!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hope that got your attention...Now a family from my son's school take him on play dates a lot...I want to take him to a indoor play centre place...thing is they dont belive thier 6 year old needs a car seat...he is 50 pounds I belive...so how do I say "yes I can do a play date but your kid needs a booster seat in my dads car since its the law" without attacking their parenting??

http://www.safekidscanada.ca/Professionals/Advocacy/Documents/26794-BoosterSeatLegislationChart.pdf

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Do you have an extra one to use?  DD is old enough and tall enough to not need hers but most of her friends are smaller than she is so I keep her old booster in the car when I have her friends with us.  I just used it on Monday when her friend went out with us.

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Do you have an extra one to use?  DD is old enough and tall enough to not need hers but most of her friends are smaller than she is so I keep her old booster in the car when I have her friends with us.  I just used it on Monday when her friend went out with us.

Yes I do...Thing is the other child isnt tall enough or old enough to be out of the seat...my son is ALWAYS in a booster in that car...it upsets him but oh well much rather have alive upset child...then the alternitve...but wouldnt you be mad if another parent put your child in a booster?? (if she was NOT old enough/tall enough to be out)

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Tell them you can't afford the ticket, and insist on him being in a seat.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Wouldn't bother me at all.  You can tell the other mom that either her kid uses your booster or she can meet you at the play place.  What would bother me is if I told you my DD needed one and you thought she didn't and didn't use one. 

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Yes I do...Thing is the other child isnt tall enough or old enough to be out of the seat...my son is ALWAYS in a booster in that car...it upsets him but oh well much rather have alive upset child...then the alternitve...but wouldnt you be mad if another parent put your child in a booster?? (if she was NOT old enough/tall enough to be out)

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM
I've told friends if I'm taking their kid somewhere I need a booster even if they choose not to use one. Don't like it, don't ask me to take your kid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM

ANother case of standing up for yourself. You aren't "attacking their parenting" you are obeying the law @@ Are you really that unsure of yourself?

Either their child goes in the carseat, or they don't go. That's a choice the parent has to make.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Just tell them the plans and that you'll need a booster seat for him.  Keep it very matter of fact as if it's not a big deal, kwim?

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Not a big deal. If you prefer to have your child in a booster seat in someone else's car, then you just say so and provide the seat for your child to sit in. If that child is in your car and you want him in a booster seat, it is your car, your rules otherwise, no ride and no fun. I always had extra booster seats for my kids' friends to ride in my car. I got extra through freecyle and friends whose kids outgrew them.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I always have an extra booster just in case it's needed. Maybe approach as suggesting she makes sure her son understands that when riding w/ others, he has to follow their rules, and that includes riding in a booster if that is their rule. (Yes, I know you said he has to by law, but this approach may keep her from feeling criticized)

periwinkle163
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I have been in this position, I simply said these are my car rules, sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN