Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Caden's Reading Level :)

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

Remember me posting about reading levels, etc.  I asked his teacher about his reading progress and level.  She said in reading, he's doing phenominal!  He's level 3 already.  They want them to leave Kindergarten with level 4.  Level 4-8 is considered "on target".  At this rate, he'll be Level 8 before he leaves LOL.  By the way, he started not knowing how to read at all!!!!

But, she did mention his writing skills are behind.  This makes no sense because he puts kit cars together and lego sets together on his own (yes, very little instruction from us).  And he can cut ON THE LINES!  But can't color in the lines nor does he write well LOL.  

Do you guys have suggestions (other than practicing writing directly) that would help?  I've tried Montessori letters, Magnadoodle, sand tray.  Any other options you guys can think of?

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Not sure how putting cars together corrolated with handwriting since those are 2 different skills.  We have bought dry erase workbooks in the printing style our school teaches as well as a dry erase puzzle book.  That helps with making the sharp angles or curved lines needed for printing.  DD is in 1st grade and still behind for printing.  She has OT though for low muscle tone in wrist/hand and they work with her on proper finger placement on pencil.  She is finally on target for cutting on lines and coloring.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM

That's awesome.  I hope he won't need OT.  I know that his daddy and uncle have terrible handwriting LOL.

With kitcars, you have eto be good at placing the glue and the small peices.  The way you use the glue tube is actually pretty close to the way you use a pencil LOL.  Odd that I know all of this!  He cuts great!!!  In fact, he cuts better than most adults I know.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions :). He does have dry erase boards and has been using them. I will try the puzzle book though, he loves those.  What kind of puzzle book is it?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Not sure how putting cars together corrolated with handwriting since those are 2 different skills.  We have bought dry erase workbooks in the printing style our school teaches as well as a dry erase puzzle book.  That helps with making the sharp angles or curved lines needed for printing.  DD is in 1st grade and still behind for printing.  She has OT though for low muscle tone in wrist/hand and they work with her on proper finger placement on pencil.  She is finally on target for cutting on lines and coloring.

berlgirl1224
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Practice, boys are usually behind and sloppier in handwriting areas. I agree with dry erase. We printed out the alphabet, put it in a plastic "project saver" thing. And the kids can trace the letters with dry erase markers and wipe it off
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Try having him write in different materials.  If you get snow where you live, have him take a stick and write in the snow with the stick.  Spray shave cream (not gel) on a cookie sheet and have him write in that.  You can also fill a gallon size ziploc bag with cheap hair gel and he can use his finger to trace letters and shapes into the gel in the bag.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Let me find the one we use.   DD even pulled hers out last night and was using her finger to practice the puzzles.  

Quoting corrinacs:

That's awesome.  I hope he won't need OT.  I know that his daddy and uncle have terrible handwriting LOL.

With kitcars, you have eto be good at placing the glue and the small peices.  The way you use the glue tube is actually pretty close to the way you use a pencil LOL.  Odd that I know all of this!  He cuts great!!!  In fact, he cuts better than most adults I know.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions :). He does have dry erase boards and has been using them. I will try the puzzle book though, he loves those.  What kind of puzzle book is it?

Quoting frndlyfn:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that boys tend to be further behind in handwriting. I'd be curious to find out how far behind before worrying too much.

Playing with play doh is good for building the small muscles you need for handwriting.

You might also let him use window crayons or markers to write on verticle surfaces like windows.  Or get a stand up dry erase board (like one of those easels where you paint/use chalk or dry erase markers).  I remember hearing that drawing the letters vertically helps developmentally, although that might be more letter recognition which he is obviously far past.  But having different ways to practise & build the muscles needed is probably good anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN