Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is it too late to correct this? Does it even need correcting?...

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM
  • 32 Replies

Oops, I hit the wrong key before posting so some of you will see a blank screen before I get around to typing this. LOL

OK, so my youngest started out ambidextrous. From age 2 he could write legibly with both hands, but in preschool we were encouraged to get him to choose one hand (because he would constantly switch, slowing himself and the whole class). So, we chose to focus on helping him become right-handed, which he now is. I'm not sure we made the right choice, though. He holds his pencil in a very strange way. It's hard to explain, but he holds it with his middle, ring, and pinky fingers at the bottom, his index finger way up high and the thumb around the pencil touching his ring finger-- but he twists his whole hand so that his palm is facing him and his pencil comes at the page from the top and at an angle. It looks a little like a leftie trying to write when they get to the center of a spiral notebook.

He has really nice handwriting, especially for a boy, but he is a slow writer! He's really good at math (that's an understatement! lol), but rocket math is tough because he's a slow writer. Being a perfectionist may have as much to do with this as the way he holds his pencil. I'm not sure.

I haven't made a great effort to change it (bigger fish to fry and all of that...), but watching him write for his homework tonight was painstaking! I asked him if it was uncomfortable and he said no.

He's 7.5 and in 2nd grade... considering that he writes clearly and isn't pained by his writing, would you try to change this at this point? Teacher POVs especially welcome- is there something I may not be thinking about where this will affect him later on?

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Sorry, I can't offer advice because your post is blank.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Quoting kmrtigger:

Sorry, I can't offer advice because your post is blank.

LOL Yeah. Oops. I'm not sure what I hit, but I made it post right after doing the title. Oy.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Oh, and he also never starts his letters where most people do and where you are taught to start them. Like for capital A he might draw the cross bar first and then starts at the top peak for the rest of the letter. Or for lower case a he will start at the bottom right of the "o" and work his way left and then do the stem from bottom to top. This makes me wonder if he's meant to be more of a leftie. I just don't know.

Or maybe he's just an out of the box thinker. LOL He's gifted especially in the areas of math, science, and interestingly- art. So it could just be his creative side. lol

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM
3 moms liked this

If he is getting his work done in a timely manner and it doesn't bother him, then I would leave him alone.

OR

Have him practice with his left hand and see if he is faster with it. But don't force a change if he is comfortable with his right hand.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM

My son would use both till preschool when they made him choose.  He now sees the OT to help him hold it

family in the van   Mom of four

jamianne
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM

If he's comfortable and his handwriting is neat, don't try to force a change.  You could encourage him to try writing with his left hand to see if it's more comfortable for him.  I was forced to change hand preference - my teacher in kinder used to take the pencil from my left hand and put it in my right. My dad's left-handed and it never occurred to anyone that I was as well.  To this day I have terrible penmanship.  

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

What has his teacher said about it?  He may need to be evaluated to see if he needs extra help with penmanship.   I have my own theory that all the smart people have slopping handwriting since who can ever read a doctors note  LOL.  DD did not have the benefit of preschool so all her delays were caught in kindergarten and while she is very good at math, her writing stinks as well.  She hates writing in journals and such.

Precious333
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
:( kind of sucks that they made him switch. May you can test to see how well he write with his left now, but let him choose.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Thanks, all! He does really well now, but I wonder how it will be when he gets into older grades where tests are harder and he won't have any extra time for his writing. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

I wish now that I'd have looked into an OT when making the decision about his handedness. Back then he had some letters that he wrote perfectly with his left hand and some with his right. If he would write the "right-handed letters" with his left hand they would be backwards and vice versa- hence the constant switching of his hands. Since he did know the correct way to write each letter, but some would come out backwards with his left hand and some would come out backwards with his right hand, he would constantly switch so that they were all correct, if that makes sense.

But we had to re-teach him the letters that he previously only was able to write correctly with his left hand. I probably should have sought out some professional help back then in that switch since his case was something that I think is pretty rare. At the time, though, he was having major eye trouble (and ended up having surgery on both eyes that year) and my oldest always has ongoing therapies and care for autism and it just seemed like something I wanted to deal with at home and not have an appt. for. *sigh*

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Quoting Precious333:

:( kind of sucks that they made him switch. May you can test to see how well he write with his left now, but let him choose.

He has completely lost he ability to write left-handed. It feels odd to him now. He does eat left-handed and he pitches left-handed.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN