Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is your little one required to take a language?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM
  • 85 Replies

my daughter is in kindergarten and is required to take spanish class twice a week. even though she is doing well she says she hates it and it's hard.

i know teaching children at a young age a new language is better because they retain more but i think it's a bit much. i didn't have to take a language till high school and it was an elective.

i know we have alot of spanish speaking people in our country but we also have alot of people who speak other languages too. chinese, indian, etc.. in fact it seems every time you make a call these days you're speaking to someone of indian descent so why not learn indian(hindi,?).

i know this country is trying to keep up with other countries that know 4 or 5 languages but also why then are foreigners who move to our country not required to take english! "when in rome do as the romains!" i feel someday this country is gonna be taken over and we're gonna get stomped out by foreigners.

i respect their race and religon but come on, our holidays have been stomped out. our children can't celebrate their birthdays in some schools. i grew up with some mormans and never heard them protest more than foreigners do thses days about our way of living!

what are your thoughts on our little ones learning a new language?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

First off, the United States does not have an official language.  So there is no way to require foreigners who move here to learn English.

Our school does not offer foreign languages in elementary school, middle school is the earliest that it is offered.  I honestly don't have a problem with our children learning other lanugages.  We speak French and German in my home, as well as English.

happy2bmom25
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I wish our school had foreign lamguagrs for the younger kids! Ours was cuy years ago. Your dd is lucky!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessica45
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM
In elementary school no there is no foreign language. That starts in high school. However my girls have been bilingual since birth. Most of my family doesn't know English so my girls have to know Spanish. It's never been a problem and they do fine with both languages.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it is a great thing to be exposed too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM

It's not required till high school and even then it's not required...only if they want to go to a 4 year college.  Since I teach a language, I think it's better for them to learn when they are younger as it is easier than by the time I get them in high school.

family in the van   Mom of four

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM

It isnt required for our particular school but dd has been learning spanish for years.  She is far from fluent but knows alot of key words.   She learned through dora, dragon tales, books we read, watching other dvds in spanish when that option was available. 

NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM

It is not in elementary, nor do I think it should be required in elementary. We live in America, therefore, English should be the primary language learned to write and speak.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Why should English be the primary language that is learned to write and speak?

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

It is not in elementary, nor do I think it should be required in elementary. We live in America, therefore, English should be the primary language learned to write and speak.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I agree. DD took Spanish once a week in daycare, I wish they had it in elementary school. In Pre- and K DS had a deaf girl so they learned sign language which was great.

OP, you seem to have an issue with foreigners. It benefits our kids to learn other languages. If people come here and don't want to learn English, it hurts them more than it hurts us. As for the comment that they will over run us, unless you're native American, your family was a foreigner at one time.

Quoting aetrom:

I think it is a great thing to be exposed too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM

My son's elementary required it.

When we were looking around at elementary schools, we had the choice between an immersion school and another school that was very good but didn't offer a foreign language. We choose the immersion school instead.

Even though my son was one of the last kids in kindergarten to be responsive to the foreign language, he loves being bilingual now. Sometimes kids just need a little encouragement when learning new things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)