Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Charter school fees

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 29 Replies

I have a son that goes to a charter school. Parents have to pay $190 supply fee and $195 enrichment fee. so total $385. I just do not understand what all supplies they buy with $190 per child. That is $4750 per classroom. I have not seen anything fancy (ex. school sales time you can get a pencil box for $1, Elmer's glue $1, Markers $2, Crayons $2 scissors $2, notebooks 50 cents, etc.) I am sure I can get all the supplies and then extras for less than $100. They have to be buying in bulk, which means everything is cheaper than "regular" retail prices. I feel that is too much for supplies and I wouldn't mind if they said registration fee was $120 and supplies was $70 because I feel they are trying to play a fast one on parents saying we need $190 for school supplies for your child. 

Now the $195 enrichment fee I find it high, too. I mean, it is not like the field trips are free, they don't get musical instruments, canvases for art or anything like it. 

I guess I am paying it but I find it very high for a school that is receiving over $7K for my kid. 

Do your charter/public schools have fees? If so how much are they and what do they cover?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bramamber
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM
My boys go to a charter. There is no fee but parents are required 30 hours of volunteer hours a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Quoting bramamber:

My boys go to a charter. There is no fee but parents are required 30 hours of volunteer hours a year.

We have to volunteer to 20 hours a year, too!

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I have no clue for our charter schools but the school that burnt down, their supply list for first grade was a 25 dollar check for supplies.  For dd's school it cost about 50 -70 bucks and we willingly bought more hand sanitizer and tissues for the class room.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM
You have to add in the cost of workbooks, copy paper, teaching materials...it adds up fast.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Our Charter school is free with no volunteer requirement.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM

None of the charter schools that we've looked at require anything like that, and I've looked at a lot of charter schools. My son goes to a public magnet school instead, and there are no fees like that. I just have to buy his own classroom supplies.

Charter schools usually get the same amount of money per pupil as the nearby traditional public schools. Does the traditional public school have fees like that too? 

I have heard of a couple charter schools closing over the years due to embezzlement by the founds of that school. If you do not have a PTO or PTA explaining where those fees are going and working closely with the school admin about the school budget, I highly suggest to that you consider forming one. In fact, now that I think about it, I think all public schools (including charter) have to provide a budget if requested to produce it. 

MJP76
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM

No, my daughter has attended a charter school for the last two years. There are no fees. We just buy school supplies.

charter schools apply and are usually accepted for a ton of grants... The last school she attended was a brand new charter school they received a million dollar start up grant, that was divided out in quarters.

sarahjoy
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM

The charter school I work at doesn't have ANY fees at all... no book rental, no transportation fees, no tuition.  We accept ALL students regardless of ability, economic classification, test scores, suspension records nothing.  Every one comes to us with equal opportunity to succeed.  

However because we do this we have a HUGE amount of very "low leveled" students who fail in public schools come to us and special needs rate is very high (more than the state average per school)... bc of this we are classified as a "failing" school by the states stupid rating system.  (goes by test scores not improvement rate).  So if a kid comes to us 3 grade levels below and we get them 2 years improvement but just not at grade level yet ...they fail the state test and count against us... and now we are facing our school closing bc these kids improved a huge rate but didn't pass so they said we didn't do our job.  even though we got them below level to the extreme.

The only thing our parents have to supply is school supplies on a list we provide and uniforms (we even offer uniform assistance if needed... parents just tell us they cant get them and we supply a few sets even shoes... dont even ask for income proof... we just do it. Same for supplies... if they don't provide them we just order extras.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

My dd attends a charter school and we have a $500 materials/field trip fee. We also have to buy the basic supplies and they have general fund drives year round. They only receive a little under $5k per student from the state and that barely covers their lease, utilities and staff fees. We also have to pay just over a hundred a year for 1 day a week hot lunch and they have to pack for the other 4 because they don't have a kitchen. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM

We're required to volunteer 5 hours a month along with our $500/yr materials fee, providing school supplies and paying for the 1 day a week hot lunch. It is worth it though. It's the only school like it in our entire state and the only one that we would let our kids attend brick and mortar wise. 

Quoting iansusie:

Quoting bramamber:

We have to volunteer to 20 hours a year, too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN