Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

She tested at WHAT level???

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM
  • 23 Replies

My oldest daughter (age 11, 5th grade) tested at a middle of 8th grade level for both math and reading... she also pass way above average on science, language and math for the state tests.

I knew she was very bright in math and above level in language but didn't for the life of me think she was testing 3 years higher than her grade level.  She's not very mature so moving her up a grade is out of the question bc socially she wouldn't fit in. 

I met with her teacher today to see what she does in class to "challenge her" and there is nothing put into place for it... her teacher only does groups with an assistant for "low" students.  (shes a first year teacher... I work there also as a teacher and most of our "seasoned" teachers include "advanced" groups as well.  DD was in them last year... but nothing this year.  

I am a bit irritated by this as I always want my daughter challenged higher... if shes testing at 8th grade math level and reading... then she should not be just doing basic 5th grade math.

She will be in middle school next year so Im hoping she will get some AP classes at the new school.  but I feel guilty for not pressuring her to be pushed higher.  She never has homework cuz she finishes it at school, she never ever studies for anything, she finishes her work early in class... then gets out her "6th grade workbook" she got from home for xmas... ill have to get a higher one next time.

What do you do at home to push your child to their ability level without making them feel like they are doing "extra" work?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AliKatAK47
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I know the feeling. My daughter 9(4th grade) tested about that high. They want to skip her next year (she wont go to the 5th grade). I was like that as a kid as well (I skipped 3 grades).

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this

What assessments are they using?

I frequently have students test that high. That doesn't really mean they're ready to do work at the level. The test we use compares their scores to students in different grades. So a student scoring 8th grade hasn't mastered 8th grade skills. She did as well on the assessment as the average 8th grader does. It seems like a minor difference, but it's really an important distinction that isn't really clear in the reports that go home. 

My curriculum is very challenging. I've never felt the need to have special activities for my more advanced students. Differentiating instruction in the regular curriculum works very well for me. If she enjoys learning and continues to make progress I don't see the benefit of pushing her. She's already thriving. 

sarahjoy
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Ya that is a possibility but she's just not socially even there like her peers ... so Im afraid skipping her will make her feel even more socially frustrated and get teased more and she already is hating school this year bc of classmates "picking" on her.  While others are worried about gossip and boyfriends... she like rocks and dirt and doing "research".  She doesn't really have any good friends at all. and i think skipping grades it would be worse.  I wouldn't want that big age gap between her and her peers... and I was like that in high school and I hated it...bc i was the "baby".  everyone could drive before me, date before me, stay out late before me... It sucked. then when i was older.... so im trying to avoid that... shes just still too "playful"... shes actually less mature than my 3rd grader (who is a grade ahead).

mommytoeandb
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
DD is in the gifted program, talented art, and talented music. They're pull out programs once a week. She's 9 and in 4th grade. Her grade equivalent is 6 in reading and 8 in math.

After she finishes her work, she reads or draws. I'd rather expand on what she is learning, so we research things at home.

She also has ADHD. It makes things interesting!

ETA: DD used to be very immature for her age. At age 6, her psychologist said she had the maturity level of a three year-old. She has come a long way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahjoy
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM

If I didn't provide a workbook for her... she wouldnt be getting anything challenging... This test is a basic standardized test...I think its the same test for all students so like if she gets all the 5th grade questions correct (or percentage...idk) they give her harder questions and so on.  The other test she tests above level is the state test that all students in our state take. 

She is very advanced in math and science expecially... she taught herself how to multiply and divide and do fraction problems from a workbook with no adult help.  she just can look at math and find the patterns/formulas of how to do it and just learns it like crazy.

She did a science fair project last year in 4th grade and scored higher than all students in the school we went to 9th grade last year...she did it completely by her self where other students did it at school with teacher help.  I provided no help to her other than safety supervision for the chemicals.  I didn't even understand it enough to help her if she needed me too.

And that is the problem...shes not getting differentiated instruction in the classroom...the teacher is a first year teacher and has huge management difficulties... The teacher even told me that she doesnt have her do anything different than other students... and she knows all the work given... which is good practice but she gets bored. 

Im also coming from that I teach there as well and usually have 3 different lessons going in my class at a time to meet my high, average and low students....and I didn't even question anything until DD came to me and said she was getting bored and tired of just sitting there bc she finishes before everyone and has nothing to do.... thats where I have the problem... shes just wasting learning time doing nothing.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

What assessments are they using?

I frequently have students test that high. That doesn't really mean they're ready to do work at the level. The test we use compares their scores to students in different grades. So a student scoring 8th grade hasn't mastered 8th grade skills. She did as well on the assessment as the average 8th grader does. It seems like a minor difference, but it's really an important distinction that isn't really clear in the reports that go home. 

My curriculum is very challenging. I've never felt the need to have special activities for my more advanced students. Differentiating instruction in the regular curriculum works very well for me. If she enjoys learning and continues to make progress I don't see the benefit of pushing her. She's already thriving. 

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Dd is ADHD, SPD and mood disorder NOS but is also in the gifted program at her magnet IB school just like I was. Many people seemed shocked when I say Izzy is gifted and has ADHD.

Quoting mommytoeandb:

DD is in the gifted program, talented art, and talented music. They're pull out programs once a week. She's 9 and in 4th grade. Her grade equivalent is 6 in reading and 8 in math.

After she finishes her work, she reads or draws. I'd rather expand on what she is learning, so we research things at home.

ETA: DD used to be very immature for her age. At age 6, her psychologist said she had the maturity level of a three year-old. She has come a long way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarahjoy
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats funny you posted this ... just yesterday I was filling out a question form to help get a student i have diagnosed with ADHD... and as I was looking through the questions I was like WOW... THIS IS SO MY DAUGHTER... disorganized, always running around, she will start something then do something else, she will forget what shes doing sometimes at home, she really never sits still unless shes doing "work" but then shes always doing a million different work pieces at a time, blurts out and so on.  I just chuckled at it bc every single question fit to her perfectly.

Quoting nomadbrat83:

Dd is ADHD, SPD and mood disorder NOS but is also in the gifted program at her magnet IB school just like I was. Many people seemed shocked when I say Izzy is gifted and has ADHD.

Quoting mommytoeandb:

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Is this on the NWEA Map testing?

MotherofMiles
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
To be honest, and since u are also a teacher, I think u should continue to buy her higher level workbooks to do when she finishes and keep working with her at home. Sure the first year teacher has a lot on her plate and she's trying to do what she has to do for the majority of her students, and that would be one more thing for her to have to worry about.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RMC007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Does the middle school she will attend offer honors courses? I know when I was in elementary, we had Tier 4 which was for students that were 2 grade levels ahead. In 6th grade, the students were doing 8th grade math and English, and by 7th grade the student were earning high school credit. The program allowed for students to start taking college level courses in the 11th grade and many of these students were able to graduate after 11th grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN